saltwater or freshwater tank that is the question..

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
An archer would work as brackish with maybe some hermit crabs. I think there are some available that are from brackish mangrove swamps. You could probably get away with a nice violet goby and one of the smaller sand dabs in there as well.

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
You should get a bigger tank for your salt since its harder to keep fish alive in a small tank trust me I found out the hard way.

hyphen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Los Angeles
william.is-a-ninja.com
boredcpl said:
will i need a surface skimmer or any thing... other than a filter and heater..

in reality, all you need is liverock, powerheads and lights (for a reef). but a protein skimmer helps get rid of organics before they turn into harmful ammonia, etc. but, it's not really necessary. as for what to keep with 2 clownfish...you could get a nice little anemone for them to be hosted by. also, some shrimp would work well. cleaner and peppermint shrimp are nice. for some fast swimmers, you could look into buying some green or blue chromis. they shoal and look really nice in a tank. you could also keep snails & crabs and a number of different types of gobies or blennies.

TLTGF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Goodrich MI
:iagree:

I'm also a newbie at this stuff and for the past few weeks i've been to different pet stores, talked to numerous people on this forum and been on about a hundred internet sites figuring out the same question fw or sw. Basically, in a nut shell everyone already said it... for someone new bigger is definitley better if you go salt, everything is easier... water control, pH, nitrates, also the types of livestock and of course how many also improve, and compatibility of livestock is lessened in a bigger tank. From what i hear anything under 55gal is a huge can of worms when you do salt... if you aren't already experienced. Also a tidbit of info that i was given was that no matter what type of tank if salt... Fish only, with live rock or a reef, you should by reef equiptment - it will work for any type and if you want to upgrade to a reef you don't have to upgrade your equiptment. Good luck and remember take everything in as a grain of salt... get many opinions before you do anything and also make sure it is what YOU want.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
im using a 40 some gal hex (i think its 47 gallon.) with a aquaclear 70 filter and hang in heater with a sand floor.. does that sound about right for a saltwater starter tank or should i look at getting different equipment..

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
boredcpl said:
i have always wanted a saltwater tank but scared it will crash and all my fish are gone..so i want to try it on a smaller tank that i dont need to house my already have fish..i would really love to have a fully aqautic salamander like the one in your pic rweedon..
theres a great articale in coral magazine vol.1#2 about nano reefs as littl as 1.3 gals,and about how they are much more stable than once thought.it goes into detail about setting one up also.this is a good site about nanos http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/index.asp .even though you might not want to go this small it has helpful info for smaller salt tanksi.e less thn 50 gals.I will be trying out a small reef tank set up in a few months.10 gals. with only two air pumps 8 pds of live rock,one pair stonogobiops nematodes i.e highfin banded goby,a couple of peppermint shrimp,some tube worms,small brittle stars and various other inverts.ill post pics as im building it and after its going.Ive always been told salt water is easier than fresh..............and this was told to me by a very very knoledgeable person who owns a FS and sometimes writes articles for a couple of popular fish mags.hes been in fishkeeping for over forty some yrs.It just that its more expensive than freshwater,sorry I m feeling abit long winded today......................................................................................... :screwy:

hyphen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Los Angeles
william.is-a-ninja.com
boredcpl said:
im using a 40 some gal hex (i think its 47 gallon.) with a aquaclear 70 filter and hang in heater with a sand floor.. does that sound about right for a saltwater starter tank or should i look at getting different equipment..

you may want to ditch the media for the aquaclear. it'd be better used with liverock rubble and maybe some carbon media. and with the sand bed, you might wanna consider getting aragonite substrate for better buffering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store