saltwater or freshwater tank that is the question..

hyphen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Los Angeles
william.is-a-ninja.com
no, you can use sand. just make sure it's not silica based. south down play sand is a good option, as is estes reef sand.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
all i know about the sand is its white and came from a pet store... cause it was in the tank when i bought it from my buddy..

leviathon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
USA
boredcpl said:
i have never had a salt water tank and i am curious to try...i have a 40 some gallon hex with sand in it and was wondering if it would make a good salt tank..what is the smallest tank that you can safely use for saltwater..and besides filters and heater what else would you need for saltwater tanks.
saltwater is not that difficult. I've seen it done in as little as 5 gal. just cycle the tank.you can use black mollies if you acclimate them slow.skimmers are a great idea but not a must if you keep up on routine maint.live rock is the way to go if you can afford it.and if it's gonna be fish only, keep your stocking levels lower than you would in fresh

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i have the tank setup with just water and sand and a aqua clear 50 filter.. what else do i need to do or should i change anything for the salt setup... can i add salt to the water or should i drain the water and add salted water.

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
leviathon13 said:
saltwater is not that difficult. I've seen it done in as little as 5 gal. just cycle the tank.you can use black mollies if you acclimate them slow.skimmers are a great idea but not a must if you keep up on routine maint.live rock is the way to go if you can afford it.and if it's gonna be fish only, keep your stocking levels lower than you would in fresh

i agree, if you have experience with fw, the move to salt really isn't as difficult or scary as a lot of people make it out to be, there is more maitnence involved i.e. checking salt levels, better filtration but if you start out simple then it really isnt that difficult. its my opinion that sw fish are becoming hardier to keep then in the not so distant past, better shipping and acclimation methods, etc I would go for it b/c once you try it it becomes very addicting

hyphen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Los Angeles
william.is-a-ninja.com
boredcpl said:
and what size hex tanks are there.. i have 2 and i dont know the exact gallon sizes.
they have all kinds. the most popular i think are 29, 55, and 80. they have 10 & 5s, but i don't see them often.

NeonTetraFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2005
Virginia
www.freewebs.com
They are probably 29 and 55, BUT they could be custom tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store