Scat that looks like a Dat...

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have five silver scats bought them for 3 for $15.00 they were about 2 inches then and are about 5 to 6 inches now,very pretty with yellow tails and fins.I also got mono seaba that size for the same price.They are about six inches high now,I hope they do not loose the stripes when they get larger,I have 12 of them they make a great school.also green scats 4 inches $8.99 three for $25.00 have five of them,that is why I really want the African tiger scats to top of my collection.and four ruby scats 3 silver dollar size and one about 6 inches.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Are you keeping your scats in FW? I had a really nice pair of green and silver scats that I grew out to about 6 inches at which point I noticed the green scat becoming darker and darker which I took as a hint that it was time to find them a nice brackish home. That's why the tiger scats are so sought after by freshwater hobbyists (who like scats)...because they can stay in FW for life (although they could be in brackish as well).

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
they are in semi brackish water with crushed coral and Texas rock and a good amount of sea.Salt water chemistry is between 1.004 and 1.oo8 stays mostly on 10 Salinity and my PH is 8.00 I have a drip system that changes 200 gallons a day plus I backwash my bead filter every week and vacuum.I add new salt every day to compensate for the water from drip system.fish have been thriving in these conditions for at least eight months fish have doubled in size and have great color.So you know what they say if its not broke don't fix it.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Nice looking scat those are the ones that I have seen in the past.It would be great if I could find some like that but,really would like the yellow and black ones.my friend had them about 5 years ago and got them from California and when they got large they got a little washed out looking,but still a cool fish to have.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
they are in semi brackish water with crushed coral and Texas rock and a good amount of sea.Salt water chemistry is between 1.004 and 1.oo8 stays mostly on 10 Salinity and my PH is 8.00 I have a drip system that changes 200 gallons a day plus I backwash my bead filter every week and vacuum.I add new salt every day to compensate for the water from drip system.fish have been thriving in these conditions for at least eight months fish have doubled in size and have great color.So you know what they say if its not broke don't fix it.
Theres different types of scats and the one i have is pure fresh water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I was not referring to your tiger scat,I was talking about my fish.My friend had his tiger scats also in total fresh water and they were not as vibrant and green when they got really big.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I think someone posted in the beginning of this thread that although a tiger scat can live in fw for life, to look their best and most vibrant, full marine is ideal. IIRC.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Going to my LFS store today let you guys know what he says about getting tiger scats in the future.He said after the new year,but with this frigid weather maybe not.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Just came back from LFS he is getting an order in for African fish Tuesday does not know about African tigers,but getting tiger fish.Do not no if Goliath or striped ones had them before and my 400 gallon tank was not long enough they are so fast it would shoot from one side to the other side it did not seem fair to keep they are meant to sprint.He had a flower ray for $400.00 and sold tiger ray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store