Scat that looks like a Dat...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I always thought this was the one scat species that was fully freshwater and not marine at all.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
They are 100% freshwater, yes. If you read any of the articles about this scat, it will tell you that too. I had one and I kept him in full freshwater for years without any problems.

Rarefish had one that got up to 11-12" I believe. He said in another thread that he moved his to a brackish setup when the fish got older and that caused another growth spurt. The ones I've seen pretty much maxed at 9" in freshwater so you could argue that they'll be fine in full freshwater but moving to a more brackish tank is more beneficial to them in the long run.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I always thought this was the one scat species that was fully freshwater and not marine at all.
tetracanthus is the pictures on the first page are all the scat species

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what you mean Jay.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I'm not sure what you mean Jay.
Sorry ... Tetracanthus are pure fresh... the pictures on the first page show all the different species of scat

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes and oddly,the silver scat,my favorite of them all,seems to have a different Latin name than the others.I wasn't aware of that.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
They are 100% freshwater, yes. If you read any of the articles about this scat, it will tell you that too. I had one and I kept him in full freshwater for years without any problems.

Rarefish had one that got up to 11-12" I believe. He said in another thread that he moved his to a brackish setup when the fish got older and that caused another growth spurt. The ones I've seen pretty much maxed at 9" in freshwater so you could argue that they'll be fine in full freshwater but moving to a more brackish tank is more beneficial to them in the long run.
Talking about the Tiger Scat I mean. Scatophagus Tetracanthus.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I hope the lfs isn't feeding you a line just to keep you coming back.

I worked at an lfs in SD. A woman came in and asked for a PowerOne filter. I showed her to our display where the filters were priced at $29.98. She told me the price was ridiculous since a competitor had the filters on sale for $19.99. I asked her why she didn't buy one there for such a good price. She informed me that the shop was out of them. I replied, "Shoot, when we're out of them they're $9.99". Don't believe an lfs until you see the item either on the shelf or in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store