Scat that looks like a Dat...

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I've been keeping fish for about 16 years now, maybe more. When i first started keeping fish they were all over. I remember seeing that particular scat available in great numbers. Pretty crazy to think about actually. Now you can't find them. When i first started keeping fish you could get true blue-eyed plecos as well. They only cost about $40 back then.

Yeah, I've heard stories about people only 10 years ago buying small Siamese Tiger Datnoids for only $50 each. Now you can't even find them.

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the way a lot of you answer my threads.there is no need to be sarcastic or nasty.that is the problem MFK there are so many out there that have to prove that they are right they miss the whole point which is that this is club that should be about knowledge and comradeity and sharing.Not bashing
I didn't mean to bash you bro. I was just saying I doubt that your LFS is bringing in the specific fish that the OP is talking about. Like someone else said, if Wes (RareFish) and other high profile fish dealers can't import them, then your LFS probably can't either.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The last tiger scats I laid eyes on was a group at That Fish Place in Lancaster Pa.We had a MFK east coast meet there during their big spring sale and the member Deathcurl bought the whole group.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The last tiger scats I laid eyes on was a group at That Fish Place in Lancaster Pa.We had a MFK east coast meet there during their big spring sale and the member Deathcurl bought the whole group.
Eric bought all of them??? I gotta call him and see if he knows where they are....(btw he hasnt had a big tank in years)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I talked to him not too long ago.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You might be right as I vaguely recall someone bringing them in around that time.I wonder who got them,I don't think the search function is working yet but now that I think of it there was a thread on them about a year ago too.I've always been partial to the silver scats myself.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I think the green spotted ones (Argus) look almost as nice as the Tiger Scat, at least while they're young. The cool thing about the Tiger Scat though is that it's 100% freshwater so no need to setup a brackish tank.

They are so rare in the hobby today. Its very very unfortunate - they are a fantastic animal. Their design and coloration is so pleasing to the eye. And they are robust. A dream tank would be a school of these fish, green or red.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
So are they in fact 100% fresh water? Because a few posts up it was mentioned that the second pic i posted was a fully mature marine tiger scat. So they are 100% freshwater and can live in 100% marine fully matured as well???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store