Secure lid for bowfront tank

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I was going to suggest the exact same thing with cardboard, with the caveat if you the glass cutter was there. How are you planning to "lock it"?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
uploadfromtaptalk1425947419008.jpg

Painters tape is where I want 2" holes. As for how to secure it, wasn't going to think about it until it was cut, worst case I use velcro, so what do you think? And got a couple hours to decide if I want glass or acrylic

Sent from my SM-T320 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The cut out for tracing looks good.

I'm not sure how strong the eel is/are, but I'm sure the Velcro would likely serve the prupose. Are you going to rest the glass on top of the tank and brace, or also have the rubber stops (that I mentioned having)? You may just want to decide in case you want them to drill any extra holes for you while they are cutting. If you go with Acrylic, make sure you ask them about specific materials that don't warp. I have had 3/8" acrylic that I know will warp. For my application, I think glass looked better, but I definitely can see the convenience with acrylic. The holes are good to for dropping things in like food.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Eels are strong. I am definitely going to use rubber feet. Glass seems more practical since my tank is glass. Do like acrylic though. Gonna drop the cutouts at lunch tomorrow wherever I decide, have till then to decide if i need to alter them for mechanisms of any sort. Btw, which do you think will be cheaper overall?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wow glass is expensive. Anyone use plexiglass for lids though?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Do you mind sharing cost, or how much it was to cut to your shape? Ask them if they have "PolyCarbonate" specifically. The plastic place locally told me that should not warp, but "acrylic" will. It comes in both clear and white - so clear would work for you too. I think that may be cheaper than glass but cannot say given I don't know how much the difference is. Food for thought...if you plan to keep the tank for awhile, and you like the look of glass better and it care enough about it's look and function, you may be better off going with glass. I know these things definitely can be costly, especially when you're pulling together a new tank and all these expenses. Sometimes it makes more sense to get exactly what you want, and avoid spending more later. But you may be happy with Poly too. Keep us posted...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
$250+ for glass, 105+ for plexiglass. I will be going to a couple acrylic places this week and will get a quote on polycarbonate.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup, over the double the cost. Make sure you specify the thickness you want in the quote for either.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Since you're helping me out here, what are your thoughts on "plexiglass" lids?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I hope that I am helping and not causing more confusion LOL...

From what I faintly recall "plexiglass" is just a brand, like "Kleenex" or "Xerox" (for you ol' schoolers). So plexiglass = acrylic ---> potential warp when used as lids. My sump lids are made of acrylic, and it warps. I can live with it as I just flip over now and then and it flattens out good as new. I plan to wrap my (metal) stand so I won't see it on a daily basis (I'm kinda meticulous approaching OCD). But for the overflow lid and tank lids, I didn't want warped lids that are visible.

I would have gone with polycarbonate for my overflow lid, but I wanted something black (so went with a piece of marine board). I did not ask on price, but I don't even know if polycarbonate cost much more or less than your typical acrylic. I think if you can swing the polycarbonate, it would look good too. You should give your local place that you may purchase and verify what I'm suggesting too. Let me/us know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store