Secure lid for bowfront tank

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So I was quoted at 120 for 3/8" polycarbonate and 150 if I want hinges added in the middle. Thing is he said no matter what when you add heat and water eventually it will warp. I didn't ask about 1/4", well I mean I did but he said I should be fine with 3/8" and thats what he quoted me at, should have gotten the number for 1/4" as well. I am going to try to get to one more plastic place, but its out of town and closes early so I don't know if I woul ever make it there. You guys think I should pay up for the 1/4" or 3/8" polycarbonate should do the trick for a while?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Sorry to hear the mixed messages - the guy telling me sounded very confident when I was showing him my 3/8" acrylic that I use to have. That's when he said to use polycarbonate not acrylic.

Btw, did you mean to type 3/4" not 1/4"? 1/4" is even thinner than 3/8" that you got the quote for.

It's too bad the lids need to be clear for lighting. Else you could consider some marine board for lids too. I use that to cover my overflow and it's been working nicely. Keep us posted on what the other place tells you - now I'm curious.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Oops no meant 1/2". Not 1/4" LOL. Anyway I'm just gonna get the 3/8 poly likely, have them add hinges, be done with it. Guy may just not want to guarantee it.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Went in today, apparently he mis quoted me... So it would be 120-150 with hinges or whatever at 3/16" not 3/8". I am getting a final price tomorrow on both 3/16" with the hinges, and 1/4" with the hinges. Gotta say a lil ticked off for being provided the wrong info. On top of that, the guy today told me that the polycarbonate "will be fine" underneath two T5's. So idk what to believe anymore, its just annoying because they have my pastic cutouts and are 30 mins + away, so hour round trip just to get my cutouts back if I don't even want them to cut my lids. Zzz. What do you guys think of 3/16" thickness of polycarbonate? Should be fine, if the price isn't a huge difference for 1/4" I will do that.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Daven, I think only you can decide what's worth it to you. If it were me, I would go with 1/4" between the two as it can't be that much more. It's a one time thing too right? Dumb question, what are T5? For some added reassurance, give TAPS a call or send them email (sorry I don't know any place in Canada), and run that by them. See what they say just to verify?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya if 1/4" is not unreasonably expensive that's what I'm going with. T5 fluorescent lighting, the T# represents the diameter in mm size of the bulb. It's in a reflective metal ballast, but not much heat gets emitted i dont think.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So 185 taxes in I got my 3 pieces with plastic hinges, fit perfectly (except for one edge I had to sand for half an hour, no big deal) and look great. I am quite glad I went with 1/4 inch, it sits flush with the bracing that has the grooves, and gotta say it looks sharp. I will take pics tn and dub this thread complete. To prevent warping I think I might hang my light balast 3-6 inches above the lids from the ceiling, not sure what they used as an adhesive for the hinges but don't wanna risk them splitting off overtime.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
uploadfromtaptalk1427286937409.jpg

Glad that's over with. I feel like I made the right choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store