Setting up the 1000 gallon Bowfront.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Nice tank and nice puffer. I am not religious about it but I think there is merit to staying regional. Since you have started with a Mbu, why not leave him as the clear star, and add big collection of African fish? A huge colony of Synodontis multipunctatus for the bottom, a huge colony of Neolamprologus brichardi for the middle, and a huge colony of Cyprichromis leptosoma (I like Utinta) for the upper levels? Constant action and colour.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Nice tank and nice puffer. I am not religious about it but I think there is merit to staying regional. Since you have started with a Mbu, why not leave him as the clear star, and add big collection of African fish? A huge colony of Synodontis multipunctatus for the bottom, a huge colony of Neolamprologus brichardi for the middle, and a huge colony of Cyprichromis leptosoma (I like Utinta) for the upper levels? Constant action and colour.
That's a great idea...might put a shoal of sandshifters also. Or a shoal of Synodontis Angelicus instead of the Multipunctatus.Thoughts?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
That's a great idea...might put a shoal of sandshifters also. Thoughts?
Sure, whatever floats your boat. For me, I think there is an aesthetic benefit to sticking with one star and the three "layer" groups, and getting as many of each as you can. Takes some discipline, for sure, but with that kind of volume, with enough cash, you can add truly hugenumbers. Just throwing a dart at a board but 100 or more of each I would not be out of the question...Nice thing is these are all bred regularly so you can likely find volume at a reasonable price. I can only imagine but I bet you would see much more natural behavior in groups of a size that at least come closer to the groups these fish form in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store