Severum Hybrids?

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Very very rarely will ANYTHING from South America hybridize. IF they do chances are it will be within its genus.

Genetics do not allow south american fish to breed like this unless somebody out there is doing some DNA splicing.

Ive heard there is a single ancestor of almost all central american fish, which is why many can hybridize. The cichlids that didnt come from this ancestor are around the panama and lower.

My take is its just an oddly shaped convict, nothing strange about that considering convicts breeding histories. Very well could have Sajica, but that would be impossible for anyone to say for sure.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
lol yeah (thats my fish)
Ive had him for years as a severum hybrid, he came from a pair of green sev and a convict, so sorry, no one's changed my mind yet. Its not a particularly great lookin fish but to me he really does look like a severum in body shape. His deceased brother did as well. I'm just saying its possible, because ive seen it

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
Kaliedoscope;4385990; said:
hah lol yeah I thought that added a lot too. I'm not too sure about the possibility that it's a JD x COn cross though, I believe that would produce a more torpedo shaped fish than a convict; my fish is a little more disk-shaped and heavy bodied than a con. From what i've found on the net, a JD/con would look a little more like this

Or it would at least have a dot in the middle at some point like a JD instead of a bar
this guy's pretty much looked like this all his life, only his fins have developed and gotten more showy.

Btw Hoyo, Knives are some of my favorite fish. I am envious of your collection, If i had those here I wouldn't do anything but watch them
I have a Demsey x convict and it doesnt resemble this much at all. Mine took the Demsey shape with some Convict stripes. Very good looking fish IMO. My lfs breed convicts with GT's and Demseys. When my little tank clears I will snap a pic. I just changed the sub out to sand from one of my other tanks.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Kaliedoscope;4899612; said:
lol yeah (thats my fish)
Ive had him for years as a severum hybrid, he came from a pair of green sev and a convict, so sorry, no one's changed my mind yet. Its not a particularly great lookin fish but to me he really does look like a severum in body shape. His deceased brother did as well. I'm just saying its possible, because ive seen it
So because it has a severum like body that means it has severum in it right, just like how blood parrots have severum them? Severums cannot hybridize nor can any South American Cichlid (aside from Festae) hybridize with any Central American Cichlid.

Unless you have a proof of it heritage, you just come off as a stubborn person who refuses to believe the truth.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
Chris, my point was that neither of the opposing sides in this debate have proof, so we'd better just drop it. And truthfully, equating this to the severum guess about blood parrots diminishes your point a little. I'm not trying to be mean, just saying wierd stuff does happen.

For example,

Apteronotus albifrons X Mormyrus rume proboscirostris as a cross should be scientifically impossible, yet here it is on segrest's stocklist.
http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewgroup&groupID=115

Just because something dosen't happen dosen't mean its impossible,
and just because something is impossible dosen't mean that it dosen't happen.

I hope we can all drop this issue now : )

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
cyberhog05;4899795; said:
I have a Demsey x convict and it doesnt resemble this much at all. Mine took the Demsey shape with some Convict stripes. Very good looking fish IMO. My lfs breed convicts with GT's and Demseys. When my little tank clears I will snap a pic. I just changed the sub out to sand from one of my other tanks.

And nice! post them as a new thread in the cichlid hybrids section

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Kaliedoscope;4902736; said:
Chris, my point was that neither of the opposing sides in this debate have proof, so we'd better just drop it. And truthfully, equating this to the severum guess about blood parrots diminishes your point a little. I'm not trying to be mean, just saying wierd stuff does happen.

For example,

Apteronotus albifrons X Mormyrus rume proboscirostris as a cross should be scientifically impossible, yet here it is on segrest's stocklist.
http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewgroup&groupID=115

Just because something dosen't happen dosen't mean its impossible,
and just because something is impossible dosen't mean that it dosen't happen.

I hope we can all drop this issue now : )
Anything is possible in magic world of Fishland, where science holds no barings, and rumors run rampant like a drunk naked Swedish man at a Mexican soccer game. :screwy:
A "pair" and viable offspring are COMPLETELY different situations. No matter how much you want to have a severum hybrid "to be the only one in the world who has ever had one" its not going to happen. The proof is in the pudding, Find legit proof of a sev hybrid, or any SA CA hybrid, which means its impossible which means it does not happen. This is reality, not "Fishland" theories.
"Weird" stuff rarely happens in this world, It only means you dont understand/comprehend what happened.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
FishingOut;4903793; said:
Anything is possible in magic world of Fishland, where science holds no barings, and rumors run rampant like a drunk naked Swedish man at a Mexican soccer game. :screwy:
A "pair" and viable offspring are COMPLETELY different situations. No matter how much you want to have a severum hybrid "to be the only one in the world who has ever had one" its not going to happen. The proof is in the pudding, Find legit proof of a sev hybrid, or any SA CA hybrid, which means its impossible which means it does not happen. This is reality, not "Fishland" theories.
"Weird" stuff rarely happens in this world, It only means you dont understand/comprehend what happened.
This :iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store