"short-body" spotted gar

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
benzjamin13;3641447; said:
Nice! You said that "we" rarely seen it. So have you seen them before?
i seem to remember some sort of post/pic/blurb about a short-body gar sometime a year or two ago...but would definitely have to do some hunting to track it down. don't remember if there was a pic with the info or not. other than that, i have not seen info about this condition in gars at all (not that i've done a lot of digging into it).

at this point i may keep the fish just for curiosity's sake, or am also considering putting it up for sale to put $$ back into the project. we'll see--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3641503; said:
ah here we go

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147780&highlight=short+bodied

i remember there being at least 1(or 2?) more pics of sb-gar
yeah, that is definitely one of the pics i have seen.

now that fish is a FL gar, and likely has a much higher influence of inbreeding due to farming than just genetic abnormality. i very highly doubt that the fish in the OP will look like this, but that's just my speculation at this point.--
--solomon

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say you should keep it. Come on...you know you want to:D

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
benzjamin13;3642280; said:
I'd say you should keep it. Come on...you know you want to:D
haha, yes, it's definitely a curious specimen and i would like to see it further develop, but at the same time i have "too many" gars as it is, and need to keep the research afloat!--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;3642358; said:
haha, yes, it's definitely a curious specimen and i would like to see it further develop, but at the same time i have "too many" gars as it is, and need to keep the research afloat!--
--solomon
a fifth gar for gar den II?:grinno: come to think of it...we need more pics of that tank!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3642950; said:
a fifth gar for gar den II?:grinno: come to think of it...we need more pics of that tank!
haha, well there are a couple issues with that...it would take the short-body FOREVER to grow big enough to make it in GDII...and that's not going to happen with the croc II over 2' and several other fish that are also quite big. even the AUL would likely snack on him :)

that being said, GDII currently houses 8 gars as it is...but that's another issue altogether. i may be able to get some updates pics up after thanksgiving, thanks for your interest though (it HAS been a while)!--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;3643096; said:
haha, well there are a couple issues with that...it would take the short-body FOREVER to grow big enough to make it in GDII...and that's not going to happen with the croc II over 2' and several other fish that are also quite big. even the AUL would likely snack on him :)

that being said, GDII currently houses 8 gars as it is...but that's another issue altogether. i may be able to get some updates pics up after thanksgiving, thanks for your interest though (it HAS been a while)!--
--solomon
GDII has 8 gars!??! that must be an incredible sight! you need to get pics after thanksg!!:D well, i need them at least.... and here i was trying to stick under 5 gars as i had thought you had only 4 gars...:D

let me guess thou, 2 cubans, crocII, 1 tropical, 1 gator, 1 longnose, 1 fl & 1 spotted?

how big are the rest of the fish since crocII is 2'? any issues with aggression?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
yes pics of GDII!! and u should keep that gar!! its a rarity. plus keep it for 6 months then give it to me!! got my caiman build so extra money is nonexistent! lol

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3643821; said:
GDII has 8 gars!??! that must be an incredible sight! you need to get pics after thanksg!!:D well, i need them at least.... and here i was trying to stick under 5 gars as i had thought you had only 4 gars...:D

let me guess thou, 2 cubans, crocII, 1 tropical, 1 gator, 1 longnose, 1 fl & 1 spotted?

how big are the rest of the fish since crocII is 2'? any issues with aggression?
will comment further on this later, but some of the extra gars (3 tropicals) are richards, for which i have been taking care of for most of the summer...1 female, two males.--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store