Shortnose vs Gator

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Rbacchiega;1776254; said:
fatter and a little more spotted than the one labled platostomus....
could it be a florida/spotted? kinda sounds that way to me. do you have any even "crappy pics" to post? you will more than likely need some type of pic to id him.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
will do guys. I don't think it's a florida/spotted. I've got two of those and the proportions on this little guys "nose" is way different. Shorter and wider at the base. Will get pics up asap

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
Jordan...whatever that last gar pic you posted in the "show your gars" thread looks exactly like a bigger version of mine from above.

EXACTLY

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Rbacchiega;1776293; said:
Jordan...whatever that last gar pic you posted in the "show your gars" thread looks exactly like a bigger version of mine from above.

EXACTLY
(the same one in my avatar?) that is a tropical gar? maybe you do have a gator gar? shortnose have a wide snout, but not quite that wide.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
before poly beats me to it:

Self, quit lollygagging around and get the f'in pics up or quit waisting our time.

Right-o poly

after googling tropical gar and coming across primitivefishes.com....it looks like I have a tropical! It looks like a 4 inch version of the juvis that soloman has posted there

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Rbacchiega;1776301; said:
before poly beats me to it:

Self, quit lollygagging around and get the f'in pics up or quit waisting our time.

Right-o poly

after googling tropical gar and coming across primitivefishes.com....it looks like I have a tropical! It looks like a 4 inch version of the juvis that soloman has posted there
seeing that you are in canada it very well may be a trop. here is a pic of mine when it was 5".

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
that's it! that's it!
now...tropicals...can they go well with florida/spotteds in a 8x3x2 tank? Because if so I'm on my way to pick up 4 more of these babies (15 a piece, who can go wrong?)

yohan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Philippines/Los angeles
you can distinguish it by looking at the snout if the snout is as wide as its head its definitely an alligator gar if not its a short nose

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Rbacchiega;1776329; said:
that's it! that's it!
now...tropicals...can they go well with florida/spotteds in a 8x3x2 tank? Because if so I'm on my way to pick up 4 more of these babies (15 a piece, who can go wrong?)
tropicals go very well with florida/spotteds...although they are a little more aggressive (you may notice a few more ripped fins) but they are a joy to keep! great price too! i hope they are indeed tropicals! pics!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store