Shortnose vs Gator

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
yohan;1776352; said:
you can distinguish it by looking at the snout if the snout is as wide as its head its definitely an alligator gar if not its a short nose
i think you are missing about 5 other species...

yohan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Philippines/Los angeles
demjor19;1776366; said:
i think you are missing about 5 other species...

well did you read the part that he/she said "short nose or alligator?"
i just answered what was asked:grinno::grinno::grinno:

damn my frontosa died just now! hurts! GOD DAMMIT! imma cry!:nilly::nilly::nilly:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
yohan;1776397; said:
well did you read the part that he/she said "short nose or alligator?"
i just answered what was asked:grinno::grinno::grinno:

damn my frontosa died just now! hurts! GOD DAMMIT! imma cry!:nilly::nilly::nilly:
yes i did read that part, but if someone doesnt know weather or not its a shortnose or alligator (no offense), then it could be just about any of them...as is being proven now.

yohan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Philippines/Los angeles
well i myself had 4 types of gar before and now that youve introduced me to the others im wondering if i did call them their righteous species.

anyway i see you know alot about gars can you give me a tip?

my gar is having fin rot, is there any special treatment for them or still the old school clean water?

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
indeed. And blame it on me as well for not knowing the actual scientific names of the gar species (something I'm working on). Soon I hope to be able to distinguish them by species specific names, but for now, when a LFS lables them as Shortnose Aligator gars, it's kind of hard to tell. I've gone from not having any gars, to being completely addicted to them and planning on getting more of them.

yohan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Philippines/Los angeles
Rbacchiega;1776450; said:
indeed. And blame it on me as well for not knowing the actual scientific names of the gar species (something I'm working on). Soon I hope to be able to distinguish them by species specific names, but for now, when a LFS lables them as Shortnose Aligator gars, it's kind of hard to tell. I've gone from not having any gars, to being completely addicted to them and planning on getting more of them.
dont get too many they grow crazy fast next thing you know you have a problem of where to put them.

cant believe! this my fish is dying 1 by 1. i dont know why! damn!

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
yohan;1776445; said:
well i myself had 4 types of gar before and now that youve introduced me to the others im wondering if i did call them their righteous species.

anyway i see you know alot about gars can you give me a tip?

my gar is having fin rot, is there any special treatment for them or still the old school clean water?
salt, slightly raised water temps, and clean water are the best methods of treating it.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
I've got an 8x3x2 tank almost done cycling and all that's going to be in it are gars. However, as of right now I only have 2 florida/spotteds and this 1 (soon to be 5) baby tropicals. Now to find 3 more floridas around the same size as the ones I currently have and that'd be one mean looking tank.

Now I need to make the tank look as natural as possible

....also, this is a gar thread...try posting in a different forum for questions about your other fish...see if you can get help faster there

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Rbacchiega;1776513; said:
I've got an 8x3x2 tank almost done cycling and all that's going to be in it are gars. However, as of right now I only have 2 florida/spotteds and this 1 (soon to be 5) baby tropicals. Now to find 3 more floridas around the same size as the ones I currently have and that'd be one mean looking tank.

Now I need to make the tank look as natural as possible

....also, this is a gar thread...try posting in a different forum for questions about your other fish...see if you can get help faster there
i would not put these baby tropicals in that big tank. i would suggest growing them out in a much smaller tank to about 12+ inches. this may help lessen the risk of a broken back or other severe injuries caused from darting into the glass. gar are one of the few species where a bigger tank isnt always better.

it's important to note that tropicals are probably one of the least jumpy gar species out there...so you should be safe, but you can never be too cautious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store