Should I be worried? Prazipro

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Bacteria will grow in any pH. Ammonia is not causing your pH to drop. Not having enough bacteria to break down a heavy bioload or nitrate will. Ammonia is less toxic to fish at a lower or acidic pH, and more toxic and a higher or alkaline pH. So your pH lowering is actually doing you a favor in a way. Just don't let it crash or go below 5. If you can't keep it steady add some crushed coral into your sump to help keep it buffered.
It's definitely below 6 because my test it only goes from 6 and above... I'll get some Texas holy rock

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
It's definitely below 6 because my test it only goes from 6 and above... I'll get some Texas holy rock
That will work, not sure how much you will need. You probably won't need alot, since your not dripping. I keep a 5lb mesh bag of crushed coral in my 300 gal system. That keeps me around 6.5. Ro drips in at 6.8-7. I like the bags, just add more as it gets broken down.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I have absolutely had it with canisters. Past 4 years, had numerous canisters died. i had 2 fx6 die on my past 2 years. years before that i had sun sun canister die on me, and then just today i wake up to go do my normal routine and feed my fish and my basement floor covered in water. Tank is half filled, and my fish are going nuts, rays breathing really heavy, arowana flipping out once i got down stairs.
Sump was cleared out, no water. And all i hear is humming of the canisters. i go to inspect what was going on and i see the bottom of my eheim 2217 cracked and leaking water. spent the morning since 530 to fill up the tank, clean up the mess. dry the electric plugs, and move stuff in my basement.

All rays in tank now are super stressed. dosed some stress coat and added more stability. Absolutely DONE with canisters. im taking them all off ALL of my large tanks Till i feed comfortable otherwise. im just gonna throw all the media into the sump.

And worst of all, now my basement smells foul from the nasty tank water. great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store