Silica sand?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for the input LJ!!!

Gonna start with 100 lbs of sand tomorrow. Can't wait to see what it looks like in there..... Hopefully I can get the ray's base and pattern to both lighten up.

Light is hung. After seeing the way metal halide lights up a pond I don't think I'll be going back to shop lights...... lol. Completely changes everything. Don't know what's better the way it lights up the entire pond, the way the rays glow, or the aura of waves it casts on the walls and ceiling. Only problem now is I think I need more. 250 watts is nice, but I bet more would be even better...... At least till I get the electric bill. :(

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
You should document the changes in your rays color. Between the sand and the light, I bet you will see a big difference. That light will grow some plants too. What temperature is it?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not sure on temperature, it's just a standard 250 watt Sylvania metal halide bulb. Just wanted to be sure everything worked OK before shelling out dough for a nice bulb as it's a used light/ballast. I'm completely open to suggestions as to what I should be in the market for temp wise. I have several 4 foot shop lights that are full of grow bulbs. Was thinking for some reason that these were 2200K bulbs. After digging a lil on Sylvania's site I'm guessing I'm gonna be around 4K.

I plan on adding at least one more MH. I imagine I'll want different temps in both lights? Any suggestions for bulb temps would be greatly appreciated......

:)

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
DB junkie;3986992; said:
So yes????

Finally starting the lighting tonight. Will start rinsing sand tomorrow unless I get some logical argument......

SBRODACZ- Pool filter sand or 3M sand the last 6 months?
Pool filter sand. $5 or $6 for a 50 lb bag from the local pool store. I've used it on 3 different tanks so far which all house rays. From Leos to pearls to tigers to flowers they've all been on it with out any problems whats so ever. Pool filter sand is what I recommend to any of my customers who ask which substrate to use with rays. Another plus, is the sand comes clean. You do not have to wash it, just dump it in your tank. I used a 50 lb bag for my 135 gallon, to give you an idea of how much you may want to buy.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
DB junkie;3987840; said:
Not sure on temperature, it's just a standard 250 watt Sylvania metal halide bulb. Just wanted to be sure everything worked OK before shelling out dough for a nice bulb as it's a used light/ballast. I'm completely open to suggestions as to what I should be in the market for temp wise. I have several 4 foot shop lights that are full of grow bulbs. Was thinking for some reason that these were 2200K bulbs. After digging a lil on Sylvania's site I'm guessing I'm gonna be around 4K.

I plan on adding at least one more MH. I imagine I'll want different temps in both lights? Any suggestions for bulb temps would be greatly appreciated......

:)
Don't know enough about growing plants, but I think the lower temps (2000-5000) are better for plant growth. If you do get a second mh fixture, I would get identical bulbs. Personal preference, but 2 different colord bulbs would not look good.

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
Here is a picture of the pool filter sand in my 300 gallon. It should give you some idea of how it looks. I just fed the rays, so don't mind the black clumps it is black worms.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
kjfan1;3987867; said:
Post a picture of the bag please.
It's the pool filter sand they sell at "WCI" in Ames and Des Moines. 50lb - $12. "Red Flint Sand" is the manufacturer. I'm using the tan/brown/natural colored stuff. There's a few color choices I think.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Ypu should still rinse to alleviate access "dust." I have the red flint pfs as well. Mine is about $12 a bag at the local pool store as well.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I didn't know they had colored pool filter sand. The pool place by me only has the snow white colored.
Have actually contemplated on going back to it. I used it for a year with my motoros and they looked
better on it than on anything else. Just don't know how my flowers will look on it, I know the Marbles
will look much better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store