Silica sand?

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
ShadowStryder;3991070; said:
I didn't know they had colored pool filter sand. The pool place by me only has the snow white colored.
Have actually contemplated on going back to it. I used it for a year with my motoros and they looked
better on it than on anything else. Just don't know how my flowers will look on it, I know the Marbles
will look much better.
I've only seen the white too. I always assumed there was no point in different colors since the sand is meant to sit in a pool filter ;)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've seen white, grey, and natural colored pool filter sand.

No one has any input on what bulb temps would be best for rays?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I've got 2 basic fluorescent strip lights over my tank, I think they are All Glass brand. The bulbs have a bit of a pinkish tint to them. I have tried a 50/50 bulb for saltwater (50% actinic, 50% 8000K) that looks better. It has more of a white/blue color.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
My motoro girl (and the other 2) seems to look her best (so far) under 6500K bulbs, whatever kind. She looked better under the twist-tube cfl's at that temp than she does under a T8 tube at that temp (there's a wattage difference as well).

I haven't tried any higher temp bulbs yet though. I want to try 10000K just to see how it looks.

mgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2010
nowhereville
I think its a myth, but the argument is algae can use the silica in the sand. I doubt it a little might break down in to the water but not enough to get big algae blooms.

alot of people here have been using silica sand for years

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
The problem with sand is that a thick layer (>3") can compact if undisturbed. With rays this shouldn't be much of a problem. Around decorations, driftwood, etc, I would recommend stirring the sand a couple of times a week.

As long as the sand is fine and doesn't contain any heinous chemicals healthy rays should be fine on it. Check the bag for questionable ingredients, rinse the sand well, mix the sand a couple of times a week, presto- no problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store