Silicon Drying Time???

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I've used both GE1 and RTV I prefer the RTV. After looking at those picture's I would recommend you do a full tear down and reseal all seams. My last reseal was a 5' 120gl took me about 4-5 hrs to complete.
Hello; I have been thinking about this and tend to agree with the removing and replacing the end pane of glass.

I would also likely not separate the other four panes of glass, bottom and other three sides, unless some movement could be noted. I would cut out the old silicone seam from them, clean with alcohol like doing a simple reseal

When the end panel is put back in place also run a continuous seam of new silicone at the same time in all the inside corners so this new seam of silicone can all cure together with the end panel.

I have not used the RTV myself, but have read in posts that it is prefered by those who have used it for the type repair you are doing.

Good luck

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
So when tearing it down, am I supposed to be do literally that, taking apart all the panes and cleaning and prepping them out like I have a huge stack of glass or am I just cleaning out all the old silicon on the inside while it's still together and just re applying new adhesive. I'm headed today to go pick up Momentive RTV108

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
So when tearing it down, am I supposed to be do literally that, taking apart all the panes and cleaning and prepping them out like I have a huge stack of glass or am I just cleaning out all the old silicon on the inside while it's still together and just re applying new adhesive. I'm headed today to go pick up Momentive RTV108
Hello; Yes this is what I would try first. The portions of the tank that are still securely adheared to each other would only have the inner seam of old silicone cut away. The failed end panel of glass likely needs to be removed so that you can get at and clean the edges. Then the end panel be put in place with silicone in between where the glass panels join. Then before that silicone cures run a seam along all the other inner corners where all of the remaining lass panels meet. This last line of silicone will be more for leak sealing but will also add some strength.

That said, this will still be a risky repair and may not work. You are on the horns of several delimas. --You can move the tank to some location for the repair and where a test fill failure will not do damage to floors, carpet and walls. The potential issue being that moving such a large tank back into it's set up place can lead to leaks.

-- You can try the repair as I described in place. If you are lucky (skilled) and the repair goes well then all is fine.

-- You can go the full tear down and reassembly of all the panels. Still a risk of a leak later. Als some risk of cracking the glass at some point. Not so much on smaller tanks, but those glass panels should have some weight.

I am one who usually tries to do a repair. If you own the home then any failure is to your own place. If you rent and do not already have it, consider renters insurance. Be sure to check that the policy covers such a large tank.

What ever you decide to do, Good Luck.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Ok thank you. Next question. I had a 1/4" thick 2" wide piece of glass cut for the bad corner. Was going to put it in to form an all new seem as I've seen many people tend to do. Do you still recommend doing that? I'll also be putting a small 1" screw as previously pictured in the top trim of all the corners. I feel pretty confident in doing it and not breaking the glass and feel it'll give that little extra support.

Oh and yes, my renter's insurance does cover water damage.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Forgot to mention, this will all be done in place so the tank will not be moved at all after curing. Do you recommend 72 hours for curing or longer?

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
I just picked up cartridge of the Momentive RTV108 and its says it cures within 24 hours but I'm playing it safe giving it 72. Time to start tripping down the tank. Would rather be watching strippers at the titty bar

Reactions: millerkid519

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Ok thank you. Next question. I had a 1/4" thick 2" wide piece of glass cut for the bad corner. Was going to put it in to form an all new seem as I've seen many people tend to do. Do you still recommend doing that? I'll also be putting a small 1" screw as previously pictured in the top trim of all the corners. I feel pretty confident in doing it and not breaking the glass and feel it'll give that little extra support.

Oh and yes, my renter's insurance does cover water damage.
Hello; I have used such glass pieces for repairs. They will likely help strenghthen the corner. Such repairs are unsightly being the main drawback.

Good luck

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
UPDATE!

Complete reseal complete with full repair to corner, leaked tested and holding water just fine! SHEW!

Now, question is, how long should I leave it full to ensure it will for sure good to go before draining it again to clear out any debris and chemicals and refilling it and adding fish?

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Is the test fill happening with the tank in the same spot the tank will occupy when set up with fish? If so then a reason for waiting will be to avoid having the fish involved if the seal fails in a few days. Are the fish are stable in temp holding?

Good deal so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store