Silicon Drying Time???

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
THe make of silicone is not really important, the critical question is the type. It needs to be high modulus, not low modulus. High modulus means (in the UK anyway) suitable for total immersion in water, whereas low modulus means surface waterptoof only. This is the type frequently used to seal bathrooms and work surfaces, and often contains anti-fungicides. Lastly, it should state on the tube if it's safe for aquarium use. If it doesn't, don't use it!

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
THe make of silicone is not really important, the critical question is the type. It needs to be high modulus, not low modulus. High modulus means (in the UK anyway) suitable for total immersion in water, whereas low modulus means surface waterptoof only. This is the type frequently used to seal bathrooms and work surfaces, and often contains anti-fungicides. Lastly, it should state on the tube if it's safe for aquarium use. If it doesn't, don't use it!
Would you mind looking at Momentive RTV108 and tell me what you think?

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
I've never heard of this item, and can find little if any info on the internet describing it in detail. However, if it doesn't comply with all the criteria I outlined earlier then I personally wouldn't use it, however popular it may be. But that's just my opinion!

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
I've never heard of this item, and can find little if any info on the internet describing it in detail. However, if it doesn't comply with all the criteria I outlined earlier then I personally wouldn't use it, however popular it may be. But that's just my opinion!
Well a little late now. I used it because RTV108 was the most highly recommended sealant/adhesive in regards to resealing/repairing aquariums.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Well she's up and going and holding water. Had to drain it to fix a small leak at the very top but no big deal. Also had to drain it and level it due to an uneven floor but all is good now. Will be dealing with the filtration and aquascaping later but open to suggestions. This tank will be used for larger fish such as my 14" bichir and some types of catfish.

boldtogether boldtogether

Tank 4.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store