Silurus Merdionalis thread

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
*I wanted to write this thread on my Chinese wels as there are not a lot of online resources/threads that go in depth (there are a few on here). Hopefully I can update growth, feeding, and other things to come.*

So a while back, I bought a group of 3 chinese wels (want to specify these ARE NOT GLANIS) from Rodrigo. They came in late September. Now, November 21, 2022, I am left with one. My first mistake was housing the 3 together. It does not matter with these catfish, no matter how many visual obstructions/barriers you provide, they will hunt each other down. From what little experience I have under my belt, I can say they are very, very hardy as are most in the Wels/silurus family. I will post picture underneath, He has been growing very much. He came in at around 3.5". Mr. Whiskers (AS named by my little cousins) is a small fish but one with one of the most ferocious appetites of any fish I have for his size. He fattened up all of October with steady feeding of Massivore, tilapia, smelt, krill, and the occasional blood worms when I have them. He also readily accepts algae wafers. Although they come from colder waters, they are, like their cousins, very temperature tolerant. From my understanding or lack there of, (Wes from rare fish could elaborate more on this) there are more than one Silurus species that are native to Chinese waters. Chinese Wels resemble their much larger cousins in Europe more than ones like the Asotus. Regarding temperature, I have had a lot of success with keeping him in warm waters. I have talked to other people who run seasonal cycles to either rise or lower temperature by a few degrees, but I have found that his growth has been consistent since I got him when keeping him at a steady 79-81 degrees. He has grown from 3.5" to just under 7" more than doubling his girth. The tank is in my kitchen right near a window, so air drafts are expected and they do happen especially here in a place like NJ. I've observed Mr. Whiskers at night, where he becomes much more active. He swims around in the water column, moving his whiskers back and forth, side to side as if he is hunting for some prey. I have not tried nor do I plan to try anymore tank mates, unless I come across a large Gibbs or adonis pleco for his future tank. I plan to add some photos later showing his growth from early on continuing from today on. Hope you guys will enjoy this thread.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
*Update*
it has been a while since I have posted on MFK and am having a bit of trouble posting a picture 😂any help is much appreciated so I can post some pics of my Silurus! Thanks

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
"Attach files" button in the right bottom corner of the reply window.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Update: I picked up some new tanks; hopefully he can grow out more in something like a 75 gallon for a couple months. Most people I have talked to who keep albino/gold specimens experience rapid growth from 3” to just about 14” with rapid decline but they bulk up. That’s most likely the case with this guy. I’m thinking of adding a common pleco just to get the glass because my light I have is too strong for my little tank. Made for 55 gallons. Hopefully I can help people who are interested in this incredible fish learn something about this fish. More to come!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
As what others have experienced, Silurus are very particular and very structured fish; meaning they have a favorite spot, they may go on fasting from food if there is a radical change to their environment. They are also sensitive in the fact that they are much more prone to taking changes more harshly. Here Mr. Whiskers is in his favorite spot. I came home to a dark kitchen and found him laying on top of his sponge filters.

3CB3CA72-08DB-4596-BECF-A203E506AAF7.jpeg

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
The one thing I am trying to avoid with this cat is the stunted growth after a certain length. My idea would be sticking him in a 180 and just continually put him in larger more oversized aquariums/ponds. Does anyone have any thoughts to add? I know most fish we get aren't ever going to reach their maximum potential, but maybe I can try and break through the stunted growth aspect. Will add additional photos later!

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store