Silver aro in 260?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Because not all aros turn the same. Some are very rigid when turning in a tank and some are snakelike and can turn on a dime with ease..Jars & leichardtis are rigid...Silvers and blacks are snakelike

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
If a silver aro ends up in your tank, it would live a happier life then 95% of the others that are sold. I just picked up 2- 2 footers out of tanks far less than 100 gallons and they both live happily in my 230. Sure 30" wide isn't perfect for any aro, but it's a lot better than the majority of tanks silvers are in. From what I can tell from my silvers and from what I've researched, Silvers reach 2 feet quite quickly (around 2 years or even sooner), but then their growth slows pretty dramatically. You don't see very many silvers over 30," but given there are a few. At 7' long and 30" wide, I'm sure you could house one, comfortably, for a good while.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Ok, I understand that they can get to 36" but I thought they would be able to turn in 30" as they're flexible, do they get to 36" quickly? The reason I was questioning the first reply is that he said no arowana could live in a 7x2.5x2 tank, surely an arowana that only reaches 24" could live in a 30" wide tank?
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that 30" wide will be ok

Yes it maybe able to turn around in that space but it will cause problems
1 tail biting at it will see it's own tail when turning and it may start biting it's own tail
2 if it gets spooked or jumps it may bust the tank

I know people keep saying black aros get the same size as silvers but I don't think they do I would say a black would max out at 26-30" as I kept one for 7 years and it didn't grow above 26" and blacks don't get drop eye which is dam ugly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If a silver aro ends up in your tank, it would live a happier life then 95% of the others that are sold. I just picked up 2- 2 footers out of tanks far less than 100 gallons and they both live happily in my 230. Sure 30" wide isn't perfect for any aro, but it's a lot better than the majority of tanks silvers are in. From what I can tell from my silvers and from what I've researched, Silvers reach 2 feet quite quickly (around 2 years or even sooner), but then their growth slows pretty dramatically. You don't see very many silvers over 30," but given there are a few. At 7' long and 30" wide, I'm sure you could house one, comfortably, for a good while.
You don't see many silvers above 30" because people cram 2 in a 260

They may live a happy life in a tank that size but there life won't be that long

My aro is 8-10 years old I don't think 2 in a 260 will live past 4

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
The aro I rescued came from a 70 gallon bowfront. I tracked back it's history and it is at minimum 5 years old. Tanks size is not the only thing to consider when talking about an aros lifespan. Water quality is way more detrimental to an aros life, and that is not only due to quantity of water, but more strongly determined by maintenance. I'm not saying a 260 is the perfect setup, but when my local lfs brings in a tank full of silvers, I'm assuming most do not go to tanks even close to that big.

I would say that you don't see very many large silvers due to water quality issues and aros jumping out of their tanks or injuring themselves while jumping. I have my lid weighted down with a ton of rocks, and still when it jumps it soaks the tank. They are extremely powerful jumpers and I think most people underestimate how strong they really are (I know I did!). But that is just my 2 cents anyways.

How big is your aro at 8-10?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I know people keep saying black aros get the same size as silvers but I don't think they do I would say a black would max out at 26-30" as I kept one for 7 years and it didn't grow above 26" and blacks don't get drop eye which is dam ugly

I would think if you kept that black aro 15 to 20years (not just seven) at the pace he was at, he would of had to blow by the 3ft mark (like a silver) with certainty. They're leaner, but pretty close in length

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
The aro I rescued came from a 70 gallon bowfront. I tracked back it's history and it is at minimum 5 years old. Tanks size is not the only thing to consider when talking about an aros lifespan. Water quality is way more detrimental to an aros life, and that is not only due to quantity of water, but more strongly determined by maintenance. I'm not saying a 260 is the perfect setup, but when my local lfs brings in a tank full of silvers, I'm assuming most do not go to tanks even close to that big.

I would say that you don't see very many large silvers due to water quality issues and aros jumping out of their tanks or injuring themselves while jumping. I have my lid weighted down with a ton of rocks, and still when it jumps it soaks the tank. They are extremely powerful jumpers and I think most people underestimate how strong they really are (I know I did!). But that is just my 2 cents anyways.

How big is your aro at 8-10?
Most aros jump out due to the lack of turning space so tank space is important if it wasn't the you didn't rescue the aros at all if the water was great

Stunting a aro or any other fish isn't good

You say one of your aros is 5 years old how big is it ?

My aro is a Asian red and over 28"

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I would think if you kept that black aro 15 to 20years (not just seven) at the pace he was at, he would of had to blow by the 3ft mark (like a silver) with certainty. They're leaner, but pretty close in length
Yes he was close to 3ft but I have seen silvers over 40" so they do get bigger

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Most aros jump out due to the lack of turning space so tank space is important if it wasn't the you didn't rescue the aros at all if the water was great

Stunting a aro or any other fish isn't good

You say one of your aros is 5 years old how big is it ?

My aro is a Asian red and over 28"

It's about 26" and I would agree that lack a space may be a factor, but jumping is in a silver arowanas nature. They do calm down a bit in larger spaces, but they, for the most part, spook fairly easily. If we are talking about the perfect set up for an arowana, it would undoubtedly be a large pond.

Have you not tossed in food for your aro and had it jump to grab it?

That's a big asian aro. Now that aro needs wider than 30" just to be able to turn, but a 30" silver could easily turn in a 30" wide tank.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
Would a tank at 72x36x24 be a good fit?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store