silver trio

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
yep there all in there new tank with the azuls that were with them from the start.
there just around 13 inches or just shy of that . i had to take a bunch of the plants i had in with them out because they were not really aquatic plants and starting to rot . as soon as i did that they started to eye each other up a little more that was two days ago .
i may have to put some branches in this tank like i did in there small tank it really seems to help . they do spar a little bit now and then but nothing as sever as they used to not damaging each other .

who knows there still not very big at all in arowanna standards . it could still end up not really working in the long run but im hopeful

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You should try to add barbs or SD maybe spread aggression a little more?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
thanks moe i might try that too if they start up again . there being good now though . just a couple days after i removed the grass i was wondering . they maybe sorta give a stop and glare at each other once in a while . but other then that they are cruising together almost like shoaling together .

one interesting thing i have noticed about these guys for a while now is that drako and lotus have an orange spot on there gills . they also show more blue colors and darker colors in general . they also are more aggressive and scrappy . i haven't been able to find anything for sure about sexing them from searching.
i did find a thread here about some ideas but in the end nothing for sure .
anyway just thought i would throw this out there about the orange spot on gills and more blue coloration could it be this simple ? i guess just more speculation .
these guys came from a farm in Indonesia . i wonder if some of the guys running the farms know how to sex them ?
would be really cool to know , anyway here is a couple pics of what i mean
thunder has no orange spot and is whiter in general also more layed back personality
DSC09743.JPG DSC09745.JPG
drako and lotus have the orange spot , also more bluish and scrappy
DSC09747.JPG DSC09757.JPG
any thoughts ?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Try to compare their head sizes and jaw size, I believe males have bigger heads and jaws, maybe the other way around? I gotta find the thread lol. But maybe you're onto something.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
another interesting note to share

both of the blueish face arrows with the orange spot ( drako and lotus ) are now starting to get drop eye .
i actually witnessed it happen to lotus. while doing maintenance on the tank he spooked and slammed him self .
immediately his eye was dropped , like really dropped . to the point you can see a white line were the eye meets the skull as shown in the pic . also of note , its the same fish and same eye as pictured above in previous post . clearly the eye is normal in that picture .

drako ( fish in second pic) also has a bit of drop eye, as you can see. although no were near as bad as lotus. i was not witness to it happening to drako but summarize it happened the same way as i mentioned these two fish with the more bluish color and orange spot have a more scrappy personality. lotus has since day one always been the one to take on the most damage .weather from fighting with drako or just in his more rambunctious carrings on . so it makes perfect sense to me he would have the worst case here to lol.

thunder the more whitish fish without the orange spot , eyes are perfect no drop at all . this goes along with it also being much more calmer as i have also mentioned a few times watching them grow.

anyway i thought this was interesting .i have read lots of theories of drop eye but here i actully seen it happen . im wondering though if the ping pong ball may work to fix it .
maybe if the fish looks up hard enough or long enough the eye might pop back up . or maybe it can be popped back up manually . also of note the fish are about 13 to 15 inch when this happend anyway here are the pics lotus first
DSC00168.JPG DSC00164.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store