Single oscar in a 50 gallon?

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I think a 36in long 50 is okay for a couple more years at least. The 18in width makes up for some room to swim in a circle, sort of. My bigger Oscar maxed around 14 inches after 8 years, the other was about 13. They had to point themselves up or down to turn around in that 55g, but they were always happy fish. Of course a bigger tank or a smaller fish would be recommended, but if you're dead set on an Oscar, just make sure you do what it takes to keep it healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I had 2 Oscars for 8 years in my bare 55g.
lol.... are you freaking serious? a buddy of mine just put his 13" oscar in a 125 and he still looks big in there.
I think a 36in long 50 is okay for a couple more years at least. The 18in width makes up for some room to swim in a circle, sort of. My bigger Oscar maxed around 14 inches after 8 years, the other was about 13. They had to point themselves up or down to turn around in that 55g, but they were always happy fish. Of course a bigger tank or a smaller fish would be recommended, but if you're dead set on an Oscar, just make sure you do what it takes to keep it healthy.

do not take advice from this guy. he is admitting to keeping a 14in fish in a 12in wide tank. your fish were "happy" not being able to comfortably turn around? i dont care how long your fish lived or big they got... keeping, not one, but two fish that are over 12" in a standard 55 is cruelty.
i hate than even here, on this msgboard, we see such disgusting and irresponsible fish keeping.

Death03, you can keep the oscar in the 3' tank for about 6 months. but not for a year and definitely not for YEARS. if you have a 12" fish in a 36" long tank, that it cruel. he would be 1/3 the length of the tank... think about it.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I wouldn't do it in the long term. I had a 13'' Oscar in a 72g before, and the tank just seemed to not allow for much room for the Oscar. It was a 4' bow front. I had to do constant water changes with a lot of filtration. Larger fish deserve swimming space.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I have a foot long O alone in a 5ft 120g, and another in a 6ft 135g. The tanks are in no way "too big" for either fish. I have never kept an Oscar in anything less than 55g, and when they hit 5-6ins, they move up to bigger. 3ft tank is no good for any large cichlid for any more than the first 2-3 months of their lives. Lack of space causes water quality issues and stress related health problems. They wont reach their potential of size, color or longevity. Guy with 2 in a 55.. just wrong from day 1.

Loshmitchell101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
i have a proven male Oscar that i eventually seperated from my breeding pair, hes topped of at 10.5''. Females get larger than males, you really dont know the sex of a Oscar unless they try to breed. If you happened
to end up with a male I believe he could live peacefully alone with proper filtration. I dont think this is best solution for anyone to keep an Oscar in a tank this size, If your Oscar starts to outgrow this tank completely then
rehome this fella and put something more suitable and to your taste in there. I say keep the Oscar until you cant anymore and go from there. Dont let your Oscar suffer over time but at least know what your dealing with first though.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Why is it that people feel they need to cut down other people for what they have done in the past? So pathetic!

Reactions: Krismo962

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Why is it that people feel they need to cut down other people for what they have done in the past? So pathetic!

If you're gonna use the "I've learned from my mistakes" excuse then you shouldn't be advocating your past mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I wouldn't do it buddy...I love Oscars, and I also tried to justify buying a juvenile for my own 55 gallon breeder tank, but when they get near 6 inches they really have to be upgraded IMO.

From the way I read your posts, you already know it wouldn't be fair to the Oscar, I'd deffo try and source someone with a bigger tank who has the knowledge to care for him.
My own juvenile is now in a 180g somewhere near me, last I heard he was a massive bull; I know he wouldn't have gotten that size in my 40" tank though :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store