Single oscar in a 50 gallon?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
if 36"x18 " is all you got....I say work with what you have.. move the oscar with you, but realize at some point you'll need to re-home or get a bigger tank...main reason is an oscar is a messy fish , a larger tank will make it easier to keep water parameters from going south.its going to get harder to keep the tank clean

So as long as he's fed and tank, water is clean.. I don't see the harm that some other posters state that a small tank will do in the short term ?
harm from a physical standpoint , if tank is clean...how?,...

those that state get the biggest tank possible , sometimes it doesn't happen..We'd all love to have the amazon flowing through our LR , however you make the best out of what you have..just be respectful of life...

Ive bred Oscars in a 55 , was it ideal.. probably not but it was the biggest tank available at the time. we couldn't buy anything bigger ...filtration was internal air driven filters..:popcorn:

Palm_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
North Carolina
I have seen Oscars ( 2 -about a foot each ) in a 55 gallon a long, long, time. They were a friends fish, so I don't know if they got bigger or died. But I do know they had them in there at least three years. BUT, since they are capable of growing bigger, it seems the best thing to do is opt for smaller fish. Try something really exotic to make up for the loss of your friend.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I say rehome the o and get something that YOU feeling comfortable keeping in that tank for life. If down the road ypu can get a bigger tank just start over with another oscar. There are no absolutes look at it this way you could keep him and end up having health problems or he may have none but why chance it there are plenty of great fish you could keep in that tank stress free and not have to worry about what may or May not happen ...just cuz something worked for someone else doesnt mean it will work for you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
if 36"x18 " is all you got....I say work with what you have.. move the oscar with you, but realize at some point you'll need to re-home or get a bigger tank...main reason is an oscar is a messy fish , a larger tank will make it easier to keep water parameters from going south.its going to get harder to keep the tank clean

So as long as he's fed and tank, water is clean.. I don't see the harm that some other posters state that a small tank will do in the short term ?
harm from a physical standpoint , if tank is clean...how?,...

those that state get the biggest tank possible , sometimes it doesn't happen..We'd all love to have the amazon flowing through our LR , however you make the best out of what you have..just be respectful of life...

Ive bred Oscars in a 55 , was it ideal.. probably not but it was the biggest tank available at the time. we couldn't buy anything bigger ...filtration was internal air driven filters..:popcorn:
Well said Mr. Pleco!

Reactions: Krismo962

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Its do-able. I grew out my oscar in a 40B with a 40B sump ~ 550gph to 12". hit that mark in 13 months now he is in a 36" x 24" x 36" 130g. Not ideal dimensions but it was free and hes still growing.
He takes advantage of the height on the tank as he likes to hang out close to the surface looking for me to feed him.

IMO as long as you keep up on water quality and your fish is not bumping into everything and anything while he is cruising around he will be fine. With tank bred fish they never knew anything bigger then what they were raised in. wild caught yes I can see limited space stunting ones growth.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Again, pathetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The advice of keeping 2 fish that can grow to 16" and easily hit 12" in the first year in a bare 55 is pathetic.

I don't believe that telling the op that the info you gave was wrong, is any sort of a put down. You are posting incorrect info on a forum that someone came to looking for answers. It is the responsibility of people that know better to correct you if need be.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Its do-able. I grew out my oscar in a 40B with a 40B sump ~ 550gph to 12". hit that mark in 13 months now he is in a 36" x 24" x 36" 130g. Not ideal dimensions but it was free and hes still growing.
He takes advantage of the height on the tank as he likes to hang out close to the surface looking for me to feed him.

IMO as long as you keep up on water quality and your fish is not bumping into everything and anything while he is cruising around he will be fine. With tank bred fish they never knew anything bigger then what they were raised in. wild caught yes I can see limited space stunting ones growth.
Tankbred and wild makes no dif. Any breed of fish is genetically predisposed to grow to a certain size. Its the improper care in aquarium environments that limits their potential.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Why is it that people feel they need to cut down other people for what they have done in the past? So pathetic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I wouldn't look at it as personal attacks. Just people sharing experiences that might sound a little harsh.

I say rehome the o and get something that YOU feeling comfortable keeping in that tank for life. If down the road ypu can get a bigger tank just start over with another oscar. There are no absolutes look at it this way you could keep him and end up having health problems or he may have none but why chance it there are plenty of great fish you could keep in that tank stress free and not have to worry about what may or May not happen ...just cuz something worked for someone else doesnt mean it will work for you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree, and have do that. I sold my Oscar because I felt the 72g was too small. I sold him to someone who had a larger tank, and it felt good knowing he was going to a good home. I'd do what is best for the fish and not what you want, because that is the mature and humane thing to do..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store