Skin on Gar peeling- Thoughts/help?

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
300 gallon tank with large marineland sump. 3 drains and 3 returns.

Stock
18yr old + Florida Gar
1 Older Jd
2 8" tems
1 6" orino.

Diet: Massivore

First off, I don't have any tests, but i suspect it is high ammonia.

I noticed a week ago, my gar had some peeling skin. So, I upped my water changed from 2x per week @ 30 gals each, to 3 x per week @ 30 gals. I use ro/di water, which I have used for the last 4 years. I started adding salt and prime, however, the other day i noticed the peeling is much worse. I also noticed white spot on his eye and one of the tems eyes. I don't have much decor, and don't feed live. No idea where the high ammonia could come from. The sump has these large bio wheel type ls, and i removed them yesterday, thinking they may not be helping.

I also have chemi pure and purigen in the sump. The sump has 1 filter sock and 2 sections of 3 trays with different thickness of filter pads in each. I change those when i change the water.

I had this happen to the far a year or 2 ago, when he was in a 180. But, after several water changes, it cleared up.

Any thoughts, based on the limited info i gave?

Thanks

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Maybe in his older age the gar is more susceptible to issues? Keep up the water changes, lower the feeding to reduce waste, and keep dosing with salt and. Gars are tough, and the fact yours is so old is a testament to your good care. Keep it up:)
And keep us updated.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Your wc schedule was less than 20% a week and is less than 30% now? Nitrates would build up for sure if that's the case. Test kits are cheap and vital, you can pick them up on Amazon for under $25. How big is the 18 year old gar?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'd do exactly what you did before if it worked.
Maybe in his older age the gar is more susceptible to issues? Keep up the water changes, lower the feeding to reduce waste, and keep dosing with salt and. Gars are tough, and the fact yours is so old is a testament to your good care. Keep it up:)
And keep us updated.
I doubt it's age. Most gar can live 50+ years.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
your water change schedule is terrible. switch it to 250 gallons a week minimum. ammonia comes from fish waste. breathing and pooping.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
your water change schedule is terrible. switch it to 250 gallons a week minimum. ammonia comes from
WAter parameters would definitely help.

Is there any reason you are using ro/di? How do you treat this water to make it safe for the fish?
I use RODI in my reef and have used it for the last 4 yrs for freshwater. Make it safe? Not sure i follow regarding with the use of rodi.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
So, you're saying i should be doing a regular weekly water change of 83%? That seems extremely off. Maybe at this point yes, that may work. But if it's suggested as routine, i disagree

I will be upping the changes asap..

Thanks fellas.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
WAter parameters would definitely help.

Is there any reason you are using ro/di? How do you treat this water to make it safe for the fish?
Are you talking about buffering the water?

Reverse osmosis is the best fish safe water you can get other than the fact it has no ph. It's literally the cleanest water on the planet.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If you are using pure ro/di you could end up with ph problems without a buffer.

So, you're saying i should be doing a regular weekly water change of 83%? That seems extremely off. Maybe at this point yes, that may work. But if it's suggested as routine, i disagree

I will be upping the changes asap..

Thanks fellas.
I would aim for 40% especially if changing with ro water. The problem with your schedule in my opinion is that when you do multiple small changes you are removing less pollutants than a single large change. I'd bump up the gallonage to 60 gallons 3x a week and probably cut half of that with tap water, 30 ro 30 tap. You'll have to use dechlorinater like prime for the tap if you aren't on well water.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store