small small small small small GA gar :D

yotaman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
GA
Where did you catch them? I'm in Cumming and would like to get a couple of FL/Spotted Gars.

EDIT: Never mind! I posted at the same time you did.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
good luck better hurry before they get to big and swim to deeper water there about 4" now at the dock they grow fast so hurry

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
by the look they have much shorter nose then long nose nose ussally have long narrow mouths wile these guys have medium and wide mouths but not like a gator a lil thinner

408smokin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
At home
u are sooooo lucky.. sh**tt, i wish I can caught them here... gar are so cool..and I can't even have them here in kali..

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
muckieman;1827822; said:
oh sorry no prob canton GA allatuna
yea lake allatoona was my guess. but i dont dont know what gar species are in that lake.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
i have seen very very large gar there there was was some about the with of a like 2 noodles9the float kids play with) thier is one area with a large school of them 20-30 gar havn't been able to fish for them yet though

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Being that far north you have Longnosed (Lepisosteus osseus) and a slight but not out of possibility chance of spotteds (L.oculatus). Florida (L. platyrhinchus) can be found in Georgia but far south of where you are at. (I'm not aware of transplants but would assume them) The Oculatus you would have would be far east in distribution and an uncommon occurrence. The populations that do exist are in local "hot spots".. where found they could be abundant.

That said I'm not about to ID these fish until I get a pic that shows them well enough to actually see them. it is pointless to ID specific Lepisosteus at this size without a decent photo to get specific details off of.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
ok i'll try and get a good pic

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store