smallest snake in length for a beginner keeper

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
basically want to try keep a snake but every 1 says get a corn snake, i looked on net n it said they get 6ft.. WFT i only want a snake that reachs 2-3 ft but that isnt too pricey or venemous or a constrictor ! is ther any out there ?

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
Milk snakes stay pretty small. I don't think they are as beginner friendly as corns tho. Rosy boas are also small and inexpensive.

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
Rosy and Sand boas. A Dekay's snake might work for you.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
Corns really are the best beginner snake, it is unlikely that they will actually reach 6 ft but it is possible. However you need to understand that they are colubrids... meaning they are pretty slender and easy to handle animals regardless of length (in this case) a 6ft corn is still easier to handle than a 3ft ball python. also, because they are slender they never appear as long as they are.

dekays aren't really great beginner snakes because their diet makes them difficult to keep in captivity.
pueblan milks can be you just need to expect to have a scared baby snake that will musk all over you and be ready to work with that to get it tamed down. Cali kings would also work well, they tend to be more nippy as babies and less musky.... at least that's what I hear... none of mine where ever nippy or musky or anything like that
Sand boas are decent beginners to my knowledge, sometimes they can be nippy and problems feeders, but not as problematic as ball pythons -.-
A western hognose snake might be another consideration. They stay very small and relatively easy to care for, most readily take rodents or convert rather easily (unlike easterns) however they are technically rear fanged venomous and though their venom wont kill you it can give you a bad day. That being said...bites are rare and easy to avoid when they do happen...these snakes have numerous defense tactics that come into play before biting..... i would imagine most bites are actually from careless feeding and the easy way to avoid that is to use feeding tongs....

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In most if not all species, males stay smaller than females...

As a rule, corn snakes get aronud 4', not 6'. The longest recorded specimen may be at or near the 6' mark, but it's not rational to expect your snake to be a record breaker...

Ball Pythons stay get 3~4' on average with the longest recorded in the 5' range.

Rubber Boas get 2~3' and are exceptionally docile. Though they are difficult to find.

CAaddict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
UK, Birmingham
you guys have helped alot. so a corn snake is really a good beginer then?

bcuz by me there easily available, i think i can get hold of a ball python aswell but because snake are a new thing i am not common with names YET loll.

i think i saw a baby corn for £20 is that good ?

dzjr1188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2011
allentown, pa
I got a corn for my first, and he was a great snake really nice and easy ti handle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store