Smallest Tank Size For a Gar

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
the tank in that pic is a 120. they were at there limit of that tank though. they could still easily turn around but there tails would hit the oppisite side of the tank. tank width is the main concern when it comes to this type of fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
From what I've read in the care sheets for gar on here it seems like they should be started in smaller enclosures then upgraded. I don't suppose I could start one in a 30 long could I? Dimensions are 36" x 12" x 16". I'd grow it out in the 30 until about 6-8" then transfer it to my 75 (probably eat my danios but meh, they're dither), and then eventually into the 180. I already have the 30 and 75 so it isn't a question on how fast I could upgrade to the 75 although I'm looking probably next fall (fall 2015) for the 180 so about how much time would I have in between the 30 and 75 and how much time between the 75 and 180, and then also the total time I'd have to get one into the 180. This is all hypothetical, I haven't done anything yet.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
they are pretty slow growers so you should have some time depending on how big you get him from the store. he should grow only a few inches by that time. try to get them on pellets as soon as you can though. it is much cheaper that way rather feeding live or even frozen. plus there isnt a chance on introducing and bad cooties into the tank.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
they are pretty slow growers so you should have some time depending on how big you get him from the store. he should grow only a few inches by that time. try to get them on pellets as soon as you can though. it is much cheaper that way rather feeding live or even frozen. plus there isnt a chance on introducing and bad cooties into the tank.
I'd get it on pellets as fast as I could if I did get one. Nice thing is while I'm weaning it on to frozen or dry I've got a tank right next to it full of growout cichlid fry, I'm sure most cichlid keepers on here would hate me for that but I'm not driving to the store every night to get feeders :)! How many is a few inches? The other possibility for that 30 long was a green sunfish so I'll have to compare the two and decide, always comes down to two fish I really love it seems :).

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Gar are not at all slow growers.. They get big quick if properly cared for. That said a FLG will do good in a 180 for some time. It should reach about 12 to 14 inches its first year then slow a bit to 1 inch a year (Or less). Some will stay smaller but this depends on feed intake and the care protocol provided for them. It seems in general though that FLG do not reach large sizes in the home aquarium. This has much to do with the lack of ability by the average hobbyist to provide ideal growth conditions at an early age. While it may be a controversial thing to say I have not noticed that stunting of a gar in captivity has shown no really negative side affects to the fish. One Longnosed in my collection is now well over 15 years old but just 14 inches long. I also have a tropical that is 9 years old but just over 10 inches. The TPG is an interesting one as it's sibling are well over 2 foot at this time.. Some nearing 3 foot.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I'd get it on pellets as fast as I could if I did get one. Nice thing is while I'm weaning it on to frozen or dry I've got a tank right next to it full of growout cichlid fry, I'm sure most cichlid keepers on here would hate me for that but I'm not driving to the store every night to get feeders :)! How many is a few inches? The other possibility for that 30 long was a green sunfish so I'll have to compare the two and decide, always comes down to two fish I really love it seems :).
they are slow growers in respect to some other species of fish like african cichlids. i have some chiclids that i hatched from eggs that are now nearing the three inch mark in less than a year. when you look at the fact that that particular species, it usually only gets up to about 5 or so inches full grown. first gar that i had, i got him at about 8in. he is now at about 15 inches after about two years. they grow there fastest there first year of life. it all depends on the fish though. again with my cichlids, i have fish that came from the same batch of eggs and a few are half the size of there siblings. either way a 180 should be fine for quite a while. i cant really say whether putting him in a grow out vs straight into a big tank would really make a big differnce but im sure that it would be ok either way as long as the growout is not excessively small. the green sunfish would outgrow that 30 long pretty fast as well. they would look good in that 75.

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
From what I've read in the care sheets for gar on here it seems like they should be started in smaller enclosures then upgraded. I don't suppose I could start one in a 30 long could I? Dimensions are 36" x 12" x 16". I'd grow it out in the 30 until about 6-8" then transfer it to my 75 (probably eat my danios but meh, they're dither), and then eventually into the 180. I already have the 30 and 75 so it isn't a question on how fast I could upgrade to the 75 although I'm looking probably next fall (fall 2015) for the 180 so about how much time would I have in between the 30 and 75 and how much time between the 75 and 180, and then also the total time I'd have to get one into the 180. This is all hypothetical, I haven't done anything yet.
The gar i rescued (now in my 210 gallon same dimensions as 180 just 6in taller) came from a 30 gallon... It is 12 inches... But it did not break its back

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Most of the time on here people are more likely to over state the amount of room a fish needs. Do a little more research on here about floridas and make a good decision for the fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
AGREED!

Lol half of the people on here saying a 180 is not big enough probably keep their own gars in that size or even less xD it will be fine in a 180 divemaster. Good luck bro!

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Pellet training a wild caught gar is near impossible and requires lots of work. I was able to get mine on dead silversides (the ones you thaw out) then onto tilapia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store