Smallest Tank Size For a Gar

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
This from the one telling me it does not take a protocol to transition them.. LOL.. nice.. Love it..
Gar are easy to transition to preprepared and pelleted foods. It just takes a bit of patience and persistence on the keepers part. I've never had a gar that would not take prepared feeds in less than a month of work.
when the word protocol is used it makes it sound like there is only one way to do it, and there isnt. the same process is used on more than just fish when transitioning to different foods. now the story has gone from gar dont recognize pellets and will never eat them to "Gar are easy to transition to prepared and pelleted foods." I would not doubt that these fish can have growth rates like that but that is uncommon to have in your livingroom. I dont doubt that you know a thing or two about these fish but the scenerio is different for most on this site.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
when the word protocol is used it makes it sound like there is only one way to do it, and there isnt. the same process is used on more than just fish when transitioning to different foods. now the story has gone from gar dont recognize pellets and will never eat them to "Gar are easy to transition to prepared and pelleted foods." I would not doubt that these fish can have growth rates like that but that is uncommon to have in your livingroom. I dont doubt that you know a thing or two about these fish but the scenerio is different for most on this site.
There is one protocol that works 100% of the time. want to fumble around experimenting have fun with and enjoy that. Nothing wrong with it but some of us have done the hard work for you already and it is a standardized method that will be successful. It works and is consistent as far as outcome. You never actually watched my video but if you did it would have actually clarified the fact that no gar can not be adapted to Prepared feed. Lacking humor a bit there or curiosity is what kept you from doing so...If you watched it you would see the state of things...I have raised hundreds of gars on Prepared foods.. A key to success with Gars is actually Curiosity and willingness to explore new ideas. There is much we do not know about these fish and only very few are really working hard with them to determine an appropriate husbandry protocol. That protocol is Still a changing and living thing.

One thing needs said very clear:
If the fish is not growing at a high rate then often that is actually a problem.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
There is one protocol that works 100% of the time. want to fumble around experimenting have fun with and enjoy that. Nothing wrong with it but some of us have done the hard work for you already and it is a standardized method that will be successful. It works and is consistent as far as outcome. You never actually watched my video but if you did it would have actually clarified the fact that no gar can not be adapted to Prepared feed. Lacking humor a bit there or curiosity is what kept you from doing so...If you watched it you would see the state of things...I have raised hundreds of gars on Prepared foods.. A key to success with Gars is actually Curiosity and willingness to explore new ideas. There is much we do not know about these fish and only very few are really working hard with them to determine an appropriate husbandry protocol. That protocol is Still a changing and living thing.

If the fish is not growing at a high rate then often that is actually a problem.
I felt that your first comment you made on that thread contradicted what you later said on the thread, above all I know I was confused by how you were explaining things

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia

Terminology i suppose. i would have used the word method. i did watch the video, and was a little confused at first and took it like they were taking it but were not swallowing it. the initial comment that was with the video sounded like you said that it was not a possiblity to convert them over. i agree id you are not seeing good growth on your fish you are not doing something right. Like you said, the nature of a living thing is to change and the methods that we use to take care of them must also change to best suit them. they are for sure resilient and interesting fish. one that i have was in pretty bad shape when i got him. Missing a few scales and fins almost completly eaten off. It has been about 3 months now and his fins are almost completly grown back and has grown about an inch. the rays in the tail fin are still crooked but i dont think that will ever heal all the way.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Your plan is similar to my tank. Gars and pumpkinseed sunfish. Gars are my favorite as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store