Smallest " True Gar "

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Keep this thread civil please. No need to name call.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Onion01;1625632; said:
alright wise-@$$, you made a statement, and I am asking you to elaborate on it. Can you think outside the box for a second and help me understand why it is that gars don't do better in needlessly large tanks?
I'm claustrophobic I do not like boxes...

I really do not know a better way of saying it than I already have without having to spend the next 45 minutes writing a dissertation.

It is simple...They can do well in large tanks but it is highly unlikely one is going to provide the correct conditions. Be it Tank length, depth, width.. proper habitat structure etc...You provide it then the tank is conditionally correct you do not it is not conditionally correct.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
Deathcurl;1625730; said:
Keep this thread civil please. No need to name call.
sorry :)

Polypterus;1625763; said:

I really do not know a better way of saying it than I already have without having to spend the next 45 minutes writing a dissertation.

It is simple...They can do well in large tanks but it is highly unlikely one is going to provide the correct conditions. Be it Tank length, depth, width.. proper habitat structure etc...You provide it then the tank is conditionally correct you do not it is not conditionally correct.
good answer! Thanks ricardo :thumbsup:

Polypterus;1625787; said:
Gar rule everything else drools.....
what about agnatha? :confused:

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
Polypterus;1625787; said:
Gar rule everything else drools.....
:ROFL:
I didn't know fish could drool...you learn something new every day.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
pwmin;1626051; said:
:ROFL:
I didn't know fish could drool...you learn something new every day.
I suppose jawless fish would drool excessively LOL

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Do lampreys drool? Hagfish snot, that's for sure. :)

I guess I'm a bit lost here. It would seem to me that larger would always be better, unless the thought is that it's harder to provide proper tank conditions in a bigger tank?

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Polypterus;1625763; said:

That explained nothing. Again how would a big tank not be good for gars? All those considerations are the exact same in a small tank so what you said made no sense. Are you saying the correct conditions for gars wont be met know matter what?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
there was a thread on this not too long ago...spent the last half hour trying to find it...maybe you'd have better luck

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
chrisdef15;1633782; said:
That explained nothing. Again how would a big tank not be good for gars? All those considerations are the exact same in a small tank so what you said made no sense. Are you saying the correct conditions for gars wont be met know matter what?
I'm not saying gars (in general) and big tanks are not good, I'm saying small gar and big tanks are not good.

Read the rest of the thread (not just the last page) and you will see where I clearly explain this..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store