Smallest " True Gar "

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
very simply put...small gar in large tanks have too much room to run and can potentially slam the glass causing severe spinal injuries. again this is very simply put.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
demjor19;1637038; said:
very simply put...small gar in large tanks have too much room to run and can potentially slam the glass causing severe spinal injuries. again this is very simply put.
:werd::iagree: that is it very simply my old T gar was in my 220 and about 8" and i was always afraid when it would dart across the tank...

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Polypterus;1635257; said:
I'm not saying gars (in general) and big tanks are not good, I'm saying small gar and big tanks are not good.

Read the rest of the thread (not just the last page) and you will see where I clearly explain this..
I did and you didnt explain it. Is what the other guys said about them having too much room to build up speed and hurt themselves what you mean? Otherwise wouldnt a small gar in a big tank be fine as long as it can get food? Im not trying to be rude and ive never had one so really have no idea but im lookin to get one and they are very expensive here so would like to house them the best i can.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
Polypterus;1625763; said:
They can do well in large tanks but it is highly unlikely one is going to provide the correct conditions. Be it Tank length, depth, width.. proper habitat structure etc...
I just didnt get that. Why is it more unlikely in a big tank then a small tank? really the only consideration is getting a small gar food and that the tank is the right dimensions. How is that highly unlikely?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
chrisdef15;1637389; said:
I did and you didnt explain it. Is what the other guys said about them having too much room to build up speed and hurt themselves what you mean? Otherwise wouldnt a small gar in a big tank be fine as long as it can get food? Im not trying to be rude and ive never had one so really have no idea but im lookin to get one and they are very expensive here so would like to house them the best i can.
i think not finding food would only occur in an extreme situation (maybe a very small fish or a huge tank)...as far as them darting across the tank and breaking their backs...that is something that we discuss quite often here and there have been many occurances of this happening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store