Nitrates? pH?

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
L021;4107242; said:
Nitrates? pH?
agreed, i mean ya took necesary acclimating steps, but really never accounted for something like ph shock. once again these fish are considered rather delicate to things like that. more info would help a lot if you want an answer

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
the tankmates probly werent the greatest for an uaru but it was only meant to be temporary he would have been in with 3 clown knives a redtail a channel cat and some pacus

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
...uh my guess would be the tankmates then...

channel cat + uaru = dead uaru

Unless the water's radically different and the fish hasn't been in the bag/box for a long time, I don't acclimate. That wasn't the issue.

Another thing that could have happened is that the fish spooked and ran itself into something...

Matt

clownie33;4109480; said:
the tankmates probly werent the greatest for an uaru but it was only meant to be temporary he would have been in with 3 clown knives a redtail a channel cat and some pacus

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
no i don't think so my channel cat is not that big yet maybe about 9-10 inches and the uaru was full grown plus there didn't appear to be any damage to him he was just dead

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
ideally it would help to know your water parameters - - Gh, Ph, nitrates, etc. - - and the parameters the Uaru was living in before, that would go a long way to either having an answer or ruling one out . . .

saying water parameters are "good" is diagnostically meaningless, since proper water conditions can vary greatly depending on the type of fish kept . . .

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
Just throwing this out there. If this fish is sensitive to things like PH in any way then that could very well be the culprit. Remember if the fish started at a PH value of 6 and your tank had a PH of 7 that is a 10 times difference. If your tank had a PH of 8 that is a 100 times difference. This can not only be very stressful but combined with the tank mates and the stress of moving perhaps the fish just couldn't adjust.

clownie33;4106555; said:
...we put some stress coat and some other stuff to help on the ride in there with him...
Also this line had me curious. What other stuff did you put in the container during the move?

Did the dead fish look like it had been attacked or like it ran into anything? Was it floating or was it at the bottom when you found it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store