So excited I might pee myself! Found a tank!!

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Aweshade, Jesus, 3 feet? Never mind, lol! I don't think a three foot fish would do well in a 75 gallon. Are the Elephant Noses prone to doing tricks like the Kannume? By tricks I mean pushing a ping pong ball around the tank, going through hoops, etc? I've seen videos of them being hand-fed though, which is pretty awesome. I love their cute little trunks! :)
Yes, larger fish tend to be more intelligent, but mormyrids have very large brains (most of the energy received goes to their brain) and elephant noses are intelligent enough to play with a ping pong ball. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?568535-Monster-Mormyrids! Here is a thread I made about large mormyrids.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately driving down to Northern Mass would probably be a 12+ hour trip for me. :( I wish, though! I guess I'll think about it a bit longer, given all this information. Thanks for being honest, guys!

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Thanks Aweshade, you seem to have a lot of experience with these fish! :) Do you know their lifespan? I mean, their natural life span? Since I know most of them end up dying very early on in captivity.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Sorry, I just looked it up, Boston would be about 8 hours from me. I'm not sure if where you live would be closer/further? It takes me about 4 hours to get to Bangor, and 6 hours to Portland, Maine, so. :/

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Thanks Aweshade, you seem to have a lot of experience with these fish! :) Do you know their lifespan? I mean, their natural life span? Since I know most of them end up dying very early on in captivity.
No experience (except with normal elephant noses), just knowledge. I don't know the max age. My elephant nose was six when he died, and he could have lived a longer life if I would've taken better care of him.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I am one hour North of Boston, on the coast. The Maine border is 25 minutes away. (With NH in between.)

But, your best bet is PetCo/PetsMart for a brand new one for $160, plus choose / mix and match your own equipment.

If you are on a tight budget, then get the brand new tank, then shop for cheap supplies, either look for sales, or get them from CL. Just be aware of what would be good buys (as you are doing here.)

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Well it's really up to you if you really want it. If your really far from everything and can't wait anymore. I think $300 is too much. When I was in the market for a 125 Gal, it took me awhile to find one. Found my 125 gallon on craigslist for $100. Anyways gl

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Well, now I'm going to research getting a new tank and accessories online. Does anyone know a good source? I went on Petco.com and I could only find a 50 gallon tank for almost $300. I mean, that's about the same as the used tank but without any of the accessories :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store