so if CITES is for endangered species...

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
well oddball, thanks for sharing your knowledge about this. i got high excited when i seen that application online. reason why i thought to make the thread if any one has actually gone thru and obtained the proper permit..

also do you have a link possibly or an actual number or statistic that lists the specie, or specimen, number wise...

i know there was a show i watched about african lion population being in the hundred thousands, now at only thousands...

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
EDMONTON (CP) - An Edmonton man has been fined $60,000 for illegally exporting an endangered ornamental
fish to the United States.
Joe Lian Ho Luah pleaded guilty in provincial court to four counts of illegally exporting the fish - called the Asian
Arowana - following a 22-month investigation by Environment Canada, RCMP, United States Fish and Wildlife
Service and California State Fish and Game Department.
Luah legally imported 72 Asian Arowanas, valued at between $1,000 and $5,000, to Canada and then illegally
drove or flew them to individuals or distributors in the U.S., said Larry Ottman, an investigator with Environment
Canada.
The exports violated Canada's Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and
Interprovincial Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
Not all of the fish have been recovered. Three prosecutions have taken place in Texas, California and Oregon, said
Ottman.
There is a thriving black-market trade in the ornamental fish in the U.S., said Ottman.
They are an ancient fish that are highly prized in some Asian cultures because they emulate the dragon. They're a
symbol of good luck and fortune.
"In the eyes of some, they are very beautiful," said Ottman.
A portion of the fines will be donated to the Calgary Zoo for its planned conservation and endangered species
exhibit.
(Edmonton Sun)
LOAD-DATE: October 4, 2004
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
ACC-NO: 701269931
TYPE: Other (Periodical)
Page 1

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
A small blurb from another case

The Court:
[1] Asian Arowana (Scleropages Formosus) are some of the world’s rarest and most expensive
fish. They are a seriously endangered species, and so Canada’s Wild Animal and Plant Protection
and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act, (1992, c. 52) forbids their import
or export without a permit.
[2] The appellant contacted the relevant officer in the federal government, and learned the details
of that regulatory scheme. Thanks to the internet, the appellant saw a chance to make a lot of money.
He found breeders in Asia who would supply these rare fish, and found people in a number of cities
in the southwestern United States who would buy them. Better still, the buyers would front-end the
money necessary, so the appellant would have to invest very little. He boasted in emails of the
returns which he would make on the U.S.A. “black market” with no investment of his own.
[3] He carried out the scheme, and imported dozens of these fish into Canada, and then exported
them (disguised as legal merchandise) without any permit, to various buyers in different American
cities. He thus violated Canadian (and American) law. Despite his many devices to conceal,
American and Canadian investigators tracked him down. Canadian prosecutors charged him with
that illegal export, proceeding by Indictment. The offence dates ranged over five months in mid-
2001. The sentencing judge later made a fact finding that the prosecutors had overwhelming
evidence, and so about eight months later, the appellant pled guilty, before any preliminary hearing.
Convictions were entered for four counts.
[4] Counsel for both sides signed and filed two agreed statements of facts. One showed an
estimated gross profit from sales of 72 fish, of about $65,000 to $74,000 U.S., expenses of $35,000
U.S., and so an estimated net profit of $30,000 to $39,000 U.S. Converted to Canadian funds, that
was an estimated net profit of $46,000 to $59,000 Canadian.
[5] After lengthy oral argument, the sentencing judge gave reasons for sentencing occupying
about four pages of transcript (exclusive of the part on time to pay). He found these facts (among
others):
a. these fish are rare and sought after, and one of the most expensive in the
world, but are at substantial risk of extinction.
b. the appellant knew the legal rules and that this export was totally illegal, and
had to be kept secret.
c. the appellant had no criminal record.

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
Oddball;4255056; said:
The problem is that there has yet to be a case of any farm doing any replenishing of wild populations.
what is their intention then? they would have thousands and thousands more from the pics i've seen...also assuming the huge market in asia for these, in countries that do allow...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
deeboi;4255107; said:
well oddball, thanks for sharing your knowledge about this. i got high excited when i seen that application online. reason why i thought to make the thread if any one has actually gone thru and obtained the proper permit..

also do you have a link possibly or an actual number or statistic that lists the specie, or specimen, number wise...

i know there was a show i watched about african lion population being in the hundred thousands, now at only thousands...
Unfortunately, there are no numbers to be cited. The gov'ts where asian aros are distributed have yet to assign the task to any department or agency. This is mainly due to funding. As in, ...there is no funding for completing a population study of the scope needed to produce reliable data on the numbers in existence of wild asian aros. And, until a study is completed by a reliable agency, the status of the asian aro will remain as it stands today.

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
this looks pretty recent. i think i read the story on another post..seems like this was for business with the amount that was confiscated...seems that these businesses would be taking the risk at supplying to the end user with the quality and hard to get fish...

also the article did mention black-market trading, and then again the revenue side..which pretty much explains that...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
deeboi;4255114; said:
what is their intention then? they would have thousands and thousands more from the pics i've seen...also assuming the huge market in asia for these, in countries that do allow...
Money is their intention. So long as there is a high market value for this species, there's zero incentive to change the aro's current status. Before their inclusion in CITES, asian aros had a retail price of $30-$60 US for 10-12 inch specimens. If they were to become legalized, the farming industry of aros would take a nose dive on profits.
Also, the area where asian aros occur naturally falls prey to poachers in large numbers. If any farm were to release aros into the wild, their monetary loss would become profits to poachers. Of course, a big hurtle to replenishment of wild populations is, again, the fact that no agency has taken responsibility in overseeing the status of this species. That means there's also no agency to undertake the task of accumulating release stock and physically moving them to areas to be released.

deeboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
pareho
Oddball;4255117; said:
Unfortunately, there are no numbers to be cited. The gov'ts where asian aros are distributed have yet to assign the task to any department or agency. This is mainly due to funding. As in, ...there is no funding for completing a population study of the scope needed to produce reliable data on the numbers in existence of wild asian aros. And, until a study is completed by a reliable agency, the status of the asian aro will remain as it stands today.
well then we know they wont be becoming legal anytime soon..don't remember but i think i've seen an ad of an organization trying to change this..in preserving the specie of endangerment...i for got the name of it tho..:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store