Soft shell turtle with fish?????

eel_seeker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
CA
turtle+fish=fed turtle but really its your choice you have to come to a decision to call a your tank a turtle tank or a fish tank a chinese soft shell turtle isnt that a herbivore? you might want to check out www.turtletimes.com they can help you on the turt stuff.... I keep a slider with some tire tracks two senegals and various malawi cichlids and havent lost any fish for almost 2 years cept for fish that was asleep at night and I flicked on the lights and the turtle woke up and well you get the picture :( but my tank is a turtle tank but like many monster fish on this site they might also eat their tank mates

eel_seeker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
CA
for some reason I thought he was talking about one of these guys http://www.geocities.com/mfhoekstra/heosemysgrandis.html but yeah your right all softshells are carnivours but turtles in captivity can become lazy and not chase food that much if it is given to them on a regular basis or if the prey is to hard to catch however a softshell im not to familiar with them personally most people have told me they are varicious eaters and hunters by instinct so you maybe sentencing those fish to death why not setup a tank for the turtle and a tank for the fish:headbang2 here someone has a bichir with softshell and they have not had problems (I have checked with this person recently) http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=33770&hl=bichir

Teagu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2006
England
Cheers guys i already have a tank for him if there are any problems but at the moment hes only like an inch and my fish are twice as big as him.

DJC776

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I have 3 Sinensis and they are all separate as aggressive, They would definitely take or injure a fish or mollusc. If the fish are too aggresive though they will turn the tables and damage the turtle opening the way for a bacteria infection.

If you want a soft skinned turtle to mix with your 'peaceful' fish then a fly river is the only one I would mix.

There again no one thing is the same and you may have the pacifist turtlr!!!

Teagu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2006
England
i suppose that im always going to have the thought in my head that one day ill wake up and wont see any fish in my tank.

superkimchiman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Gang Nam, South Korea
NEVER EVER feed the turtle fish. train him to think that fish aren't food and he should be fine. although u can't train instinct and he might kill a few. if that happens, feed him to a SH on yer pic. (u prolly don't own that barca, but if u do i envy u)

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
I have kept a few florida soft shells with cichlids, catfish, wolf fish and other aggressive fish. IME you can mix turtles and fish as long as the fish are big enough and able to defend themselves

Teagu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2006
England
basicly he is only 2inches possiably smaller and hes in with 3 uaru, 1 pike cich,male/female nicruagua cich, snakehead(not barca barca i wish though!!!) 2 green phantom plecs L200, and ive got some fish coming soon which are 2 redtrail baracudas, 2 datinoides, 1 polypterus delhezi, 1 tringus shovelnose

i think ill move the turtle when he gets bigger just to be on the safe side.

Hartzell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Philippines
I have a 6" soft-shell with a 7" RES, and they both love fish. I put a lot of feeder guppies in their tank and now (four months later), only a quarter (I guess the fastest swimmers and best hiders) are left to control mosquitoes. I feed them anchovies and squid, and they love 'em! So no, don't put fish with a softshell, especially fish that are either slow-swimming or large enough to be cornered. Soft-shells have a very strong bite, and I don't think even the armor of gars will protect them from a hungry softshell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store