Soft shell turtle with fish?????

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i tried it alot a few years ago and as long as the fish were alot bigger then the turtle it wasnt a problem, but when everyone in the tank would get excited sure enough a fish was right there at the wrong place at the wrong time and the soft shell would not hesitate to bite. the larger the tank the better and start with a small turtle and big fish if u must. deffinatly a sweet site when they are togeother. my fish are too expensive these days

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
In my 300, I have two florida softshells (one 6" and one 12") and have had a few different fish in there (from 1"-10"). Needless to say... there hasn't been any survivers.:(

dark_knights_99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Philippines
A good turtle is a pig nose turtle. They can also eat feeder fish but won't hurt you monster fishes.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
dark_knights_99;959947; said:
A good turtle is a pig nose turtle. They can also eat feeder fish but won't hurt you monster fishes.
Not quite true. We've seen many accounts of FRTs/PNTs harming and killing monster tankmates including; rays, polys, AUL (my loss), large cats, etc.

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
i've seen fly river/pignose turtles in with monster fish but in thousands of gallons,even so i still wouldn't do it!:)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have a soft shell ( chinese ) with feeder guppies and other feeders, and she has a hard time getting at them, so the feeder provision does not end because of such turtle.

Having said this, I would not mix it with other fish..allthough it would look amazing, I'm certain..

GroundEffect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have a 4" florida softshell that does not eat fish when offered. It doesn't live in a fish tank, so I don't know what it would do if it did.

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
He might eat your fish when he gets older

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Teagu;587647; said:
basicly he is only 2inches possiably smaller and hes in with 3 uaru, 1 pike cich,male/female nicruagua cich, snakehead(not barca barca i wish though!!!) 2 green phantom plecs L200, and ive got some fish coming soon which are 2 redtrail baracudas, 2 datinoides, 1 polypterus delhezi, 1 tringus shovelnose

i think ill move the turtle when he gets bigger just to be on the safe side.
It will take a long time for him to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store