Some catches from this season

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I saw that a while back too.I think someone shared the article here if I'm not mistaken.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
WTF, thats a a ridiculous amount of lionfish in one area. Wonder if they were brought in(chummed) or just hanging out in those numbers?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It would seem that one could lay a weighted net on the bottom and then pull in large numbers of the invaders rather than spearing them one by one.

Reactions: Frank Castle

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm sure you would get plenty but probably some bycatch too
Oh yeah of course but unlike a commercial fishing boat and being that this would be a conservation measure all native fish could quickly be removed and thrown back in.With a diver down near the catch site the natives could be shooed away and when the lions congregate the net would be drawn up....someone already said that they are stupid fish or something to that extent so they probably would not leave the net area as it tightens lol.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Oh yeah of course but unlike a commercial fishing boat and being that this would be a conservation measure all native fish could quickly be removed and thrown back in.With a diver down near the catch site the natives could be shooed away and when the lions congregate the net would be drawn up....someone already said that they are stupid fish or something to that extent so they probably would not leave the net area as it tightens lol.
I would expect the by-catch to be impaled on their spines, so there's a good chance they would not survive, but DOES sound like a really good idea......perhaps a trap devised specifically for Lionfish along the lines of a Crabpot or Eel-trap but IDK how to make it so it would exclude other fish. No doubt there's probably a way to do it though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store