some useless facts.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
A pigs heart can be transplanted to a human...An Apes' can not. Same with lungs, testecles..etc...pig organs for the most part, are the exact same as ours...

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Does that mean we taste like bacon?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Yes.....I have read humans would be like pork if eaten....Now I want some ham....

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
bigspizz;3554001; said:
Yes.....I have read humans would be like pork if eaten....Now I want some ham....
The Yanamamo of Brazil refer to human meat as "long-pig". :drool:

As far as transplants, the only "successful" interspecies human transplants so far have been from baboons or chimps. Doctors do have hopes for the possibility of future transplants from pigs to humans, but genetic modification of the pig will need to be perfected in order to avoid rejection.

Humans are much more closely "related" to primates than pigs, we share over 99% of our DNA with Chimpanzees.

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Even if you straddle an armadillo with your car, you will still hit it. They jump when a large object passes over them. They can also walk underwater.

Lobster blood is clear, but turns blue when it is exposed to oxygen.

A giraffe can decapitate a lion with a single kick.

27% of female lottery winners had their winning tickets in the bras.

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
The Tasmanian Devil can swallow up to 40 percent of its body weight in only 30 minutes — that would be like a human devouring 216 hamburgers during a half-hour lunch break.

The Tasmanian Devil gives birth to about 50 tiny babies at a time, but only the 4 that find her milk supply will survive

A femal praying mantis can kill a hummingbird

And, pound for pound, the African Crowned Eagle can carry more than a cargo plane, because it can fly carrying up to 4 times it's own weight.

Also ancient egyptians mummified elephants.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Dan Feller;3554318; said:
The Yanamamo of Brazil refer to human meat as "long-pig". :drool:

As far as transplants, the only "successful" interspecies human transplants so far have been from baboons or chimps. Doctors do have hopes for the possibility of future transplants from pigs to humans, but genetic modification of the pig will need to be perfected in order to avoid rejection.

Humans are much more closely "related" to primates than pigs, we share over 99% of our DNA with Chimpanzees.

Knuckle walker heart =4 valves.....Pig heart=2 valves....Human heart=2 valves.....

We are also 99% the same as a dandelion DNA wise.....:D

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
bigspizz;3557128; said:
Knuckle walker heart =4 valves.....Pig heart=2 valves....Human heart=2 valves.....

I was going to mention that too. One of my mom's friends has a porcine heart-valve. I think they can transplant bovine valves as well.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
Dan Feller;3552943; said:
At least two of these have been proved untrue by the Mythbusters. Sumatran chickens are capable of sustained flight. I love how these lists of "facts" never quite pan out...
That, and a googol has 100 zeroes. Money is made out of a secret blend of wool and cotton.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
bigspizz;3557128; said:

Ok, but I thought we were talking about the transplantation of entire organs. There have been "successful" (as in the patient lived for a while) transplants of baboon hearts and livers into humans over the past 25 or 30 years, but there have not been any transplants of entire pig organs to date.

Doctors really do have high hopes in the future for using pig organs as they are the right shape/size, plus pigs are much easier to raise than primates. It just hasn't happened yet.

Still, it is not correct to say that we are more closely related to a pig than any primate. Relationships among different species is defined by taxonomy - we are in the same order as the primates, different order form pigs, hence we are more closely related to primates.

Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse, but taxonomy is a subject of great interest to me. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store