some useless facts.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
cassharper;3557165; said:
That, and a googol has 100 zeroes. Money is made out of a secret blend of wool and cotton.
In 1938, Edward Kasner's nine-year-old nephew Milton Sirotta coined the term googol - how many nine-year-olds have done something that momentous?

I just saw a program on the manufacture of money a couple weeks ago - all the cotton comes from scrap denim from the blue-jeans industry.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Dan Feller;3557464; said:
In 1938, Edward Kasner's nine-year-old nephew Milton Sirotta coined the term googol - how many nine-year-olds have done something that momentous?

I just saw a program on the manufacture of money a couple weeks ago - all the cotton comes from scrap denim from the blue-jeans industry.
maybe that has t do with why money's green?

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Dan Feller;3557440; said:
Ok, but I thought we were talking about the transplantation of entire organs. There have been "successful" (as in the patient lived for a while) transplants of baboon hearts and livers into humans over the past 25 or 30 years, but there have not been any transplants of entire pig organs to date.

Doctors really do have high hopes in the future for using pig organs as they are the right shape/size, plus pigs are much easier to raise than primates. It just hasn't happened yet.

Still, it is not correct to say that we are more closely related to a pig than any primate. Relationships among different species is defined by taxonomy - we are in the same order as the primates, different order form pigs, hence we are more closely related to primates.

Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse, but taxonomy is a subject of great interest to me. ;)

You are correct...It has been a few years since I was "in school"...I would have been more correct, in saying that the organs of a pig are more compatible for transplant into a human. We share less diseases with them than we do apes, their organs work better.

I got my useless facts mixed up.

Moreover, the magnetic field of Jupiter is bigger than the suns...Infact, it is the biggest thing in our solar system.

floater33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2009
kc
señor_pescados_felices;646379; said:
In 1992 five cows were killed in drive by shootings in Clay County, Missouri.
holy crap i live in clay county missouri.... where did this info come from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store