South American habitat-- river types

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
When it comes to water conditions, too much credence is often given to clichés of region as opposed to specific habitats. This includes the notion that African = high pH, hard water and South America = low pH, soft water. Some understand the mistake in this and know that: a) not all African aquatic habitat is highly mineralized, high pH and b) not all SA habitat is low pH and soft water. However, some who understand this still conceptualize SA water conditions as divided along geographic/regional lines that inadequately account for the variations in habitat within the same region.

What's well known to science and not always to hobbyists was proposed by British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace in the 19th century and still holds true today, with some refinement of the details: River water types in SA, though not SA alone, generally fall within the 3 basic types below:

Black water-- This is the soft, low pH, tannin stained water some imagine generally typifies SA habitat and species.

Whitewater-- In order to make things easier on myself while providing a good description, here's a quote from the link to the left:
When a river transports large quantities of sediments it is usually rendered “muddy,” a color somewhat similar to coffee with milk. Major tributaries with headwaters in the Andes are all turbid because of the huge amount of loose material in the high mountain chain that is easily eroded and then carried downstream as far as the Atlantic Ocean. Locally, these rivers are often referred to as whitewater rivers, though the term should not be confused with its English interpretation that can also refer the turbulent waters of rapids. These tributaries include the Madeira, Ucayali, Marañón, Putumayo-Içá and Caquetá-Japurá rivers. There are also several tributaries that do not have headwaters in the Andes but are also considered whitewater rivers because of their relatively high sediment loads, such as the Purus and Juruá. Whitewater rivers have a higher nutrient content than the blackwater and clearwater rivers. The pH of water in turbid rivers is often near or above neutral (7.0). At elevations higher than approximately 2,000 m in the Andes, the pH of river water can be above 8.0.
Clearwater-- Neither tannin stained, nor muddy. Often between the two other types in water parameters, but some clearwater rivers are fairly mineralized/alkaline/higher pH-- or some portions of them are, or some portions of them are during certain times of the year.

The above is very well known in science literature and can also be found in hobbyist literature, such as that authored by Heiko Bleher. It is fundamental to understanding SA fish species and their native habitat and is more important to know and account for with some species than others. Most SA cichlid species adapt reasonably well to non-native water conditions-- within reason and within a certain range-- with the following general exceptions:

Temperature: Even the normal variation of wild-native temperatures stress some species. For example, surprising to many would be to know that some discus see temperatures in the low-mid 70s in nature, those in such habitats live with this but tend to be stressed when they see such seasonal conditions. Others, like many gymnogeophagus, are well adapted to fairly wide temperatures swings and even need the seasonal variation to maintain good health. The bottom line is temperature is important.

Breeding-- Some species that can live just fine and without issue in higher or lower than native pH or mineralization, may nonetheless be less fecund, or even have difficulty reproducing at all. Here's an example:
The researchers recorded the reproductive success of 322 couples, trying out three different combinations: two Rio Negro fish, two Amazon fish or a mixed couple. All aquariums were filled with water from the Rio Negro river. The results were clear (see figure below), fish from the Rio Negro has a higher reproductive success compared to the other combinations. There seems to be some degree of reproductive isolation between the two lineages.

What could have caused the lower spawning rate in the Amazon fish? The researchers think that these fish probably suffered from physiological issues in the black water (remember that all aquariums were filled with Rio Negro water). This water has a lower pH compared to the clear Amazon water. Rio Negro fish are adapted to this pH, Amazon fish are not. It would be interesting to see the results if the couples were swimming in white water. Would the Rio Negro fish then show lower reproductive success?
Sensitive species-- In varying degrees, some are simply more adaptable to dissolved solids/pH/hardness outside of native conditions than others. A few years ago, through an unintended mistake in one tank, I discovered red head tapajos geos are far more high pH/high alkalinity tolerant than Guianacara (sold to me as G. sphenozona). I 'mysteriously' lost a couple of guianacara before discovering the problem was pH was way higher than I thought. However, the red head geos didn't skip a beat.

The same river sometimes crosses more than one geologic or environmental zone and its water conditions may differ along its length or according to season. For example, some eastern slope rivers originating in the Andes will be harder and higher pH in higher elevations.

Here is another reference, with details slightly different than the one above. There's a good volume of such literature out there, but note that it can vary in the details somewhat, often according to when it was published or when the references it uses were published. This is because greater access in the past couple of decades has resulted in an earlier picture of the waters east of the Andes region being adjusted somewhat. However the basics are the same. (Parenthetical note in the quote below is mine and added for clarification.)
https://www.researchgate.net/public...nce_for_tambaqui_Colossoma_macropomum_culture
In the Amazon, there are three main water types (Sioli 1984): muddy (white) waters with a pH range of 6.2 to 7.2 and rich in nutrients, black waters with a pH range of 3.8 to 4.9 and poor in nutrients and clear waters ranging in pH from 4.5 to 7.8. Tambaqui are found mainly on the Solimoes/Amazon and Madeira axis, muddy water rivers systems (Ara˙jo-Lima and Goulding 1997). Because of its migratory nature, for feeding as well as for reproduction, the species can adjust physiologically to the different water types.
So-- if you want to be accurate: SA water habitat is not simply divided between eastern and western slope of the Andes, nor even the Amazon basin vs other regions-- in fact, geologically speaking, it's not that simple either. There are actually several distinct geologic regions east of the Andes or in what we may think of as the Amazon region. A more accurate picture is black water vs clear water vs whitewater, though even at that there can be variation or overlap in pH, hardness, nutrients, and specific mineral profile, including at times variation according to the particular stretch of the river or time of the year. Naturally, something similar can be said of lakes or reservoirs in the region

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thank you for taking the time to put that together, neutrino. Now that Is IMO, sticky worthy!

I have never understood the dogmatic approach to keeping various regional species in certain water conditions, as though One Size Fits All. I have posted regarding this a number of times over the years, including in a sticky I wrote regarding HITH back in 2015. Re-posted part of it below.

Something else that is often asked is why does this disease seem to mostly affect Oscars, or Discus, or certain Geophagus species?

This has been discussed by myself, Tom, Matt, and no doubt numerous others over the years.
In the case of blackwater species I believe that those species found in acidic blackwater environments do not always cope well with various parasites/pathogens found in non blackwater environments. In their natural habitat many of these pathogens do not exist, and due to the acidity found in the water cannot survive.

There is much more than just pH involved, and even tannins, various other natural turpines and chemicals found in indigenous plant matter may not only keep the pH buffered quite low, but in some instances (such as Terminalia catappa aka Almond leaves) some of these various indigenous plant matter are also known to produce antimicrobial activity that suppresses both gram positive & gram negative bacteria. Take those species out of that "protective" environment, and introduce them to parameters outside their ideal range, and a fish that comes under stress (of any form) is going to be open for invasion from any number of pathogens that it would not normally encounter in the wild.

So for those keeping any of the more sensitive species my current advice would be as follows.

Feed a nutrient rich well balanced diet (sparingly, NOT power feeding) and that solves any potential problems in that area.

Next, keep your water clean, including filters, the less bacteria present the less potential for stress from poor water quality. Ditto to 02 levels ect.

Keep all stress levels low, which will keep any major outbreaks of pathogens at bay. (such as S. vortens)

And probably best to keep blackwater fish in blackwater conditions. Lower pH values, higher tannin etc levels, along with including certain plant matter such as Terminalia catappa that is known to increase antimicrobial activity.

But that in no way equates to having to keep ALL of the various species found in the wild, from these areas of natural softer water, in soft water in our aquariums. In my experience that approach is old school line of thinking, and is simply not factual. Many of these so called soft water fish do very well in a wide variable of water parameters, especially domestic strains, which is typically what we are discussing on these forums. This has been proven among millions of tanks, world-wide, including some of my own. Many of the sick fish that we see such as Oscars etc, are products of poor husbandry, not poor water chemistry, as in GH/pH.

I think that to simply rule a species out, due to some dogmatic approach is doing a great disservice to the hobby. As an example of a blackwater species that tends to do very well in a wide variety of water conditions, Thomas Weidner, who literally wrote the book on South American Eartheaters, and in his book South American Eartheaters, states; "A hardness up to 20 dGH and alkaline water (up to pH 8.0) will not prevent G. sp. Tapajos Orange Head from breeding successfully, and this species does not seem to be particularly susceptible to the skin lesions that commonly occur in Geophagus in harder water."

My real-world experience with this species, and many other local hobbyists that I know with near identical tap water, mirrors that comment from Weidner. I know that neutrino neutrino has experience with this same species, and non-blackwater conditions. So, if/when I see the odd OH Tapajos that has an issue with HITH, I look beyond the water hardness and/or pH values, and closer at what else is going on with the fish, and the tank.

Stress comes in many forms, and IMO MFK should be promoting the proper care of water (as in low bacteria count via frequent water changes, and regular filter maintenance) and low stress from aggression, crowding, tank size, etc. ----------- instead of simply throwing out the baby with the bath water, because (gasp) it might be slightly more challenging.

I would like to see a list of known species posted, species that via first hand experience, are prone to health issues, even when otherwise kept in otherwise low stress, and pristine water quality. I can think of several off the top of my head, as I'm sure others can. A list that everyone could see, and understand moving forward the potential risks involved.

I would also like to see a list of species from these soft water areas where the fish seem to be perfectly fine in harder water, and higher pH values, such as domestic discus, and domestic angelfish, even some of the wild species actually do very well in hard water with higher pH, it depends on the species, and the collection point.

Now that I think could be very educational for those that may consider keeping some of these species, in their local tap water.

Some fish raised and kept for several years in local hard tap water, and pH of 8.0 No tweaking or addition of anything, other than adding Seachem Safe during water changes. IME this is the norm in these parts, not the exception.

1573920507748.png

1573920603969.png

1573920649011.png

1573921669776.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just to expand on this topic a bit …..

Gymnogeophagus balzanii is not always soft water species, and not always low pH species (collected in 7.5ish range), well at least those found in Uruguay. (see link below)

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/gymnogeophagus-balzanii-care-questions.678556/

But the original G. balzanii collected for the aquatic trade came from different river drainage systems such as the Paraguay River, in Brazil, and are found in softer water, with lower pH values, and are known to be susceptible to HITH and bacterial infections, if water quality is not kept in check. (as per Weidner)

But as neutrino stated;

The same river sometimes crosses more than one geologic or environmental zone and its water conditions may differ along its length or according to season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguay_River

“The Paraguay River basin includes several distinctive habitats, ranging from very clear waters such as Rio da Prata (pt) near Bonito in the upper part to the sediment-rich Bermejo River in the lower part. The suspended load of the Paraguay River is about 100 milligrams per litre (5.8×10−5 oz/cu in) before the inflow of Bermejo, but rises to about 600 milligrams per litre (0.00035 oz/cu in) after.[4] Directly after the inflow of Bermejo River, the pH of the Paraguay River may reach up to 8.2. The typical pH of the Paraguay River is 5.8—7.4 in the upper part (defined as the section before the inflow of the first non-Pantanal tributary, the Apa River) and 6.3—7.9 in the lower part.”

The Paraguay River is close to 1700 miles long, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise, nor should it comes a surprise that a G. balzanii collected in a marsh in a farmers field in Uruguay, may not have the same native water parameters, as the same species collected much further North, in Brazil.

The same holds true with discus. No doubt many hobbyists would be shocked to discover that not all discus come from low pH water. While Heckel and green discus come from more acidic blackwater conditions, blue/brown S. haraldi discus come from varying water types and habitat and water that varies in pH from 6.0-7.8.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/definitive-guide-to-discus-part-one

Symphysodon haraldi - The Brown or Blue Discus, “It is only found in clear water habitats, sometimes mixed with white water of pH ranging from 6.0-7.8, these conditions also making it the most easy to breed.”

Now factor in all of the domestic strains that are hundreds of generations removed from the wild, and the result is the fish shown in my previous post.

My friend who spent several decades working with discus, in our local tap water, told me that the secret to keeping discus was simple – start with healthy, robust, quality fish. The examples shown above were Stendker discus, that came from Hans. My friend did NOT feed beefheart (his Stendkers were converted to pellets in 1 week), he did not keep his fish in high temps (80-82F on average), and he changed water, using hard, pH 8.0 tap water, once a week. No problems, ever. In fact the only time I recall any issues with any of his fish over the years was when he got a group of designer discus from SE Asia, that came in sick, and never got any better. A 1K loss for my friend, that had nothing to do with water parameters. Live & learn. He took a gamble and got poor quality, sickly fish.

My friend also raised Angelfish, he had a real love for Koi Angels. He kept all of his domestic angels in our tap water as well, hard, with pH 8.0

On Angels Plus they have this to say about water parameters, and domestic angels. https://angelsplus.com/pages/how-to-breed-angelfish

"The domestic angelfish, most of which are many generations removed from wild stock, are a very adaptable animal. We have experienced little or no problem raising angelfish in water between 4.7 and 8.7 pH, and from very soft all the way up to very hard water."

Keep in mind, the person that stated that has bred & raised over a million angelfish, over a few decades of keeping angelfish.

My own personal mantra over the years in this hobby has been to understand, and accept & then live within my limitations vs. constantly swimming against the current. Yet at the same time I would hate to see people not trying some of these SA fish, because they have hard water, or a pH above neutral. Yes, there are some species that may be difficult due to their specific requirements, or some that should be avoided by those not willing to do the extra work that will be involved, but for many other species, especially the domestic strains that are far removed from the wild, there is absolutely no reason not to give them a try. Who knows, you might end up like me and find yourself attached to an Angelfish.

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Good example with the Paraguay river. Tocantins is similar in being a long river passing different habitat. Parana also, in fact according to my reading Parana is the 2nd longest in SA to the Amazon itself and the Paraguay flows into it. Like Tocantins, Parana varies in elevation and it includes rapids, farm, forest, dams, and delta. Obviously different habitats. Also, it empties into the Atlantic on the east coast of Argentina, not into the Amazon. So these rivers are a little different from the Rio Negro, a blackwater river where pH reportedly doesn't get much above 5.

I agree with doing research, especially with difficult species, and I also like to do it for wild fish and/or a new species I'm enthused about, but it's easy to make mistaken assumptions about native water and/or preferences of similar, closely related species-- and if a number of breeders and experienced keepers are saying this fish adapts well to X conditions... well, they probably do.

I've seen it pretty commonly, advice lumping moderate species with more difficult ones. S. lillith and S. acuticeps, for example-- I've seen them lumped together with the same blackwater/low pH advice given. Yet according to sources I've seen lillith comes from blackwater, acuticeps from clear water. What I know is Lee Newman bred acuticeps in pH 6.5-7 and, get this, 80% water changes every two weeks. But what does Lew Newman know, he's only a curator at the Vancouver Aquarium and has been noted for spawning some difficult species.

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Now that species are becoming more available from southern S America (Uruguay, and Argentina, etc)
One of the problems I've noticed with aquarists is that they believe all of continent is tropical, and that all South Americans need constant temps in the 80s.
While much of the waters (such as these snapshots taken in Colombia) are.....warm
IMG_0201.jpegGPExportPhoto-0006.jpegGPExportPhoto.jpeg
Places like Uruguay, Argentina, and areas close to th Andes have temperate, seasonally cool (even cold) areas, and fish from those areas, may require other than "tropical" treatments. Or where run off near the Andes temps are influenced by melting glaciers and hold water temps down.
images.jpeg
Above is a shot taken (not my photo) of a river near Buenos Aires, Argentina.
This river contains Tetras, and Cichlids an aquarist might "reconsider" keeping with Amazonians.
1677755216951.png1677755269764.png1677755317505.png
The Cichlids above are Uruguayan, and are examples of those that might be questionable held in year round tropical tanks.
Even the Gymnogeophagus balzani, from southern Brazil and Uruguay, (with cool water Corys below), and the Cichlasoma from Bella Union, do best with seasonal cool downs.
1677755472777.png1677755606030.png
And because the geographic are are different from Amazonia, water parameters are also different.
I was able to keep, and breed all the species above in my semi hard/alkaline high pH Wisconsin water
IMG_0471.jpegIMG_0500.jpeg
Even in the area of Colombia above, the near by Sierra Madre Occidental mountains near Santa Marta influenced the Rio Magdalena tributary water temp, significantly, I got in expecting it to be warm, but you can tell by the pained look on my face, the result was instant shrinkage.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Good info, thanks Duane. Any chance you can get this made into a sticky? :)

Seems a LOT more relevant to sound husbandry of these fish than "what is the most aggressive SA/CA cichlid", that is still a sticky at the top of this folder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store