South American habitat-- river types

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Duane and few other knowledgeable members like yourself should have published books imo. Like I stated in a earlier post a wealth of info here. I was very green when I joined MFK. Thanks to you all I'm a much better aquarist.
Agreed .
I believe neutrino neutrino RD. RD. duanes duanes to be the backbone of credible information on this site.(there are others)
These are the sources I trust the most.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
To most advanced aquarists, the different water type regions, varying water parameters within large continents, like South America and Africa are well known, and many of these advanced fish keepers can deal with, because of their vast experience.
They are the choir, and hardly need preaching to, by me or anyone else. They have developed techniques that often go well beyond statistical norms, less experienced aquarists can't.
I find that's not always true (though, I suppose it depends how you define an advanced aquarist), but rather many who have years of experience and are quite knowledgeable in some aspects (they've kept a lot of species, have worked out their care and breeding, are good at IDs, etc.) either hold to the common water stereotypes (or have their own stereotypes) when it comes to water parameters in nature, conditions a species can happily adapt to (while others may not), or differences of habitat or care between some ostensibly very similar species-- a lesson I originally learned reading some of Lee Newman's Satanoperca articles. That and some people seem unaware that some species listed as from "X" well known river with "X" parameters may actually be collected from a smaller tributary with different parameters and they're technically keeping them in the 'wrong' conditions, or that some species have a wide distribution over varying types of water and aren't as sensitive as might be assumed.

To me the learning curve about this has been practically infinite. It's also easy to oversimplify and over-generalize based on common axioms and easy to default to a preferred opinion or diagnosis when someone has issues, meanwhile overlooking or not even beginning to suspect the actual problem in some cases. For example, how often do you see someone suggest copper pipes as a potential issue with certain species and low alkalinity water?

Lee Newman interview - The Cichlid Stage
I’ve never automated my water change process simply because my main's water is very low in alkalinity and, as such, picks up copper ions as it flows through the house plumbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjohnwm and RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just thought I would bump this up for those that may have missed it first time around.
koltsixx koltsixx any chance that you can bend someone’s ear to make this a sticky? IMHO it is FAR more sticky worthy than what cichlid is the most aggro. :duh:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a couple videos, to show how different Central American habitats are.
Below are 2 videos of the Rio Utive in Panama, where the water is hard, pH is 8.2 , the underwater topography is different than some of the S American sandy substrate rivers, yet its only an hour flight from Colombia
https://youtu.be/FVlFbJRj7dQ
https://youtu.be/BES1-ql8F7c

Reactions: tlindsey

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Just thought I would bump this up for those that may have missed it first time around.
koltsixx koltsixx any chance that you can bend someone’s ear to make this a sticky? IMHO it is FAR more sticky worthy than what cichlid is the most aggro. :duh:
Hi Neil, I can make it a sticky but I'm going to give it a read through first and then run it past the other Mods. There aren't many of us active anymore, but I still want us to work as a group when possible and so would like their input and approval before any actions such as this. Thanks for the tag and suggestion, it's much appreciated.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sounds good, thanks Kolt.
I just read through the thread, and it was a great one with lots of quality contributions by very knowledgeable members. It has my recommendation for becoming a sticky. I'm still waiting to hear from the other Mods in the Mod section. So far, no responses. I'll give it a day or so, maybe 3 and then if I haven't heard anything I'll take the initiative and make the thread a sticky.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thank you sir! I can’t imagine that anyone would give this the thumbs down.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In all fairness, I should probably recuse myself because as a moderator, I have contributed to it a couple times, so I may appear to have a conflict of interest, and slight predjudice.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store