SPCA kidnapping animals to kill them?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Hdeuce;2179130; said:
My neighbor had a mutt. He was to smart for his own good. Now although he was fixed and immunized snd well taken care of he seemed to find ways out of his house and off his chain. Whenever this happened the dog catcher would take him to the SPCA and each time th e fine went up. After three times being caught the SPCA wanted 400 dollars from them to get their dog back. They couldnt afford this being a low income family. My son was friends with their child who was at my house soooo excited three weeks later telling me they saved almost enough to get him out. I let his parents borrow the extra hundred and drove them to the SPCA. It was unable to be adopted because it was a fullgrown not so cute mutt. It was taking up space so they had it put down a week earlier. How is this practice fair for animals, or their owners.??? I know running the SPCA costs money but come on. Killing an innocent animal because its loving family cant afford to pay your legal ransom.
what a very sad story....so kind of you to try and help...there is no excuse for them to do this in my opinion....

Havey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
georgia
Hdeuce;2179130; said:
My neighbor had a mutt. He was to smart for his own good. Now although he was fixed and immunized snd well taken care of he seemed to find ways out of his house and off his chain. Whenever this happened the dog catcher would take him to the SPCA and each time th e fine went up. After three times being caught the SPCA wanted 400 dollars from them to get their dog back. They couldnt afford this being a low income family. My son was friends with their child who was at my house soooo excited three weeks later telling me they saved almost enough to get him out. I let his parents borrow the extra hundred and drove them to the SPCA. It was unable to be adopted because it was a fullgrown not so cute mutt. It was taking up space so they had it put down a week earlier. How is this practice fair for animals, or their owners.??? I know running the SPCA costs money but come on. Killing an innocent animal because its loving family cant afford to pay your legal ransom.
Who is so irresponsible that they get their dog picked up by the dog catcher three times?

Then they leave him there for almost a month.

It is a sad story for the dog. The people didn't deserve owning a pet.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Havey;2180160; said:
Who is so irresponsible that they get their dog picked up by the dog catcher three times?

Then they leave him there for almost a month.

It is a sad story for the dog. The people didn't deserve owning a pet.
very sad for dog and children...

Havey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
georgia
Red Devil;2180333; said:
very sad for dog and children...

It is sad for the children. Children learn from their parents. I'm sure they will pick up the same attitudes towards animals as their parents.

I don't see why the SPCA would take any blame in what happened. They aren't a bottomless well of space and money to take care of un-wanted pets.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Havey;2180925; said:
It is sad for the children. Children learn from their parents. I'm sure they will pick up the same attitudes towards animals as their parents.

I don't see why the SPCA would take any blame in what happened. They aren't a bottomless well of space and money to take care of un-wanted pets.
i understand.... unless they were making payments and had a prior aggreement i do not think SPCA is at fault either..i know if it were me..i would have done anything even volunteer of services... i couldn't let that happen to my pet..but of course my pet would not have been running loose... so there is always more to the story and facts should be presented before theres judgement. All sad though.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
well they werent irresponsible the dog escaped all three times while noone was home. once by jumping through a screened window once by literally digging through a locked screen door and the third time trying to solve his anxiety problem he was left chained outside and he slipped his collar. I definately blame the SPCA they tried to get their dog and they were told they couldnt without the money when they got the money and went back the dog had been euthanized the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals put to sleep a dog with a loving family because they couldnt afford to bail their pet out. Its absolutely the wrong way to handle the situation, basically puts forth the notion "pay us or we kill your pet" How can anyone defend that attitude.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Hdeuce;2182399; said:
well they werent irresponsible the dog escaped all three times while noone was home. once by jumping through a screened window once by literally digging through a locked screen door and the third time trying to solve his anxiety problem he was left chained outside and he slipped his collar. I definately blame the SPCA they tried to get their dog and they were told they couldnt without the money when they got the money and went back the dog had been euthanized the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals put to sleep a dog with a loving family because they couldnt afford to bail their pet out. Its absolutely the wrong way to handle the situation, basically puts forth the notion "pay us or we kill your pet" How can anyone defend that attitude.
i certainly do not agree with putting that poor dog down...

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
Hdeuce;2182399; said:
Don't blame the SPCA, blame the individual who made the decision to kill their dog. I don't know how many dogs are at your SPCA, but if it has a high-population of animals, with new ones coming in alot, then they might have seen nothing better to do than put down the adult mutt who had been there for a month, rather than the cute puppies who had just arrived with their mom. I know my SPCA does everything they can NOT to put animals down, they're had one cat for almost a year, and some of their dogs have been there for months. My girl I got from there was thee for about 3 months.

It normally is not a group decision on put an animal down, it's up to a few people who goes, and who stays. The last person in charge of our SPCA was putting quite a few adoptable animals down, and still thinking they were doing good, thankfully enough volunteers got him fired, and now there is a sensible person there.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
bettagurl;2184794; said:
Don't blame the SPCA, blame the individual who made the decision to kill their dog. I don't know how many dogs are at your SPCA, but if it has a high-population of animals, with new ones coming in alot, then they might have seen nothing better to do than put down the adult mutt who had been there for a month, rather than the cute puppies who had just arrived with their mom.

It normally is not a group decision on put an animal down, it's up to a few people who goes, and who stays. The last person in charge of our SPCA was putting quite a few adoptable animals down, and still thinking they were doing good, thankfully enough volunteers got him fired, and now there is a sensible person there.
I understand stand what your saying about only judging the one making the decision. Unfortunately the SPCA is judged (and in my oppinion should be), like any major organizations by the decisions made therein.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
I am trying to make the point that any humane being can see that a better choice in that situation rather than murdering an innocent dog because he was judged unadoptable would have been to lower the amount asked for to get the dog back, or even to give it back. Wouldnt it be cheaper to give the dog back than to euthanise it? One phone call, versus paying the vet to administer a lethal shot of drugs which im sure also cost money. It wasnt put down because it was sick, or because nobody wanted it. It was put down because the owners didnt get the money fast enough. Doesnt that sound like a dog being held for ransom?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store