Sponge filter seems like it's doing nothing?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
if they have air flow they are working .....bubbles coming out of the riser tube = filtration....:) you may be suprised in a few weeks when you go to clean them, how much gunk they have collected

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
I have one in my 125 , 55 and it works great. I have a power head on it and it collects a lot. It like using a super buffer filter pad and it's one of the best BB producers, but I run a diy wet/ dry for the big stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have one in my 125 , 55 and it works great. I have a power head on it and it collects a lot. It like using a super buffer filter pad and it's one of the best BB producers, but I run a diy wet/ dry for the big stuff.

I have a 135 gallon tank what GPH do I want for a powerhead to run a sponge filter? what about a 55 gallon?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You need large / multiple sponges for tanks that big. Personally I think air powered with tall risers is better. The taller the tube coming out of the sponge, the more water it moves.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
You need large / multiple sponges for tanks that big. Personally I think air powered with tall risers is better. The taller the tube coming out of the sponge, the more water it moves.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I am already running 2 fluval 405 canisters. I wanted to add it for extra filtration.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Air pump won't do much with sponge filters, other than bio in a very small (10gal) tank.

Hook up a powerhead and you'll be amazed!!!

HarleyK

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
This one is rated for a 50 gallon and it is on sale. The link below has the powerheads listed by GPH or tank size. However, I know that running an air pump isn't going to give you close to the mechanical filtration these powerheads will, but because of the constant air being circulated through a sponge filter when using an air pump...you get a lot of beneficial bacteria growth because of all the O2 bubbles. More so than if you were to run a more powerful powerhead. So if you are going for extra mech filtering then powerhead for sure, if you just wat extra bio filtration...no need for anything more than an air pump.
pump.JPGhttp://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-power-heads#!aquarium-power-heads

pump.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store