Sponge filter seems like it's doing nothing?

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
I have a 120gph powerhead on a hydro 4 (I think 4)

It collects LOTS of junk every week in my 125.

Is the sponge going to be the only filtration in the tank?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
no scroll up. I have TWO 405 canisters (rated at 100 gallons each) on my 135 g. is that enough? I have large messy fish.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
If youre getting enough biofiltration I would say the canisters are enough. Still need to change water too :)

I mai nly use the sponge as a polisher and my canisters as mechanical. But im also fully planted.

I will always use a sponge in my tanks

thoth666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
USA
If youre getting enough biofiltration I would say the canisters are enough. Still need to change water too :)

I mai nly use the sponge as a polisher and my canisters as mechanical. But im also fully planted.

I will always use a sponge in my tanks

Why always use a sponge in your tank? Are you saying your sponge mostly catches fine particulates in the way floss would?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Why always use a sponge in your tank? Are you saying your sponge mostly catches fine particulates in the way floss would?
yes they do.... the are also great backup bio filters that don't need to be cleaned very often(if used with air pump)...so in summary ..if you don't use sponge filters, fine , but don't rip em because they "don't do much",cause that is not correct info(this isn't directed at ANYONE in particular,just a general statement)

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
I meant that I will always have a sponge in at least one tank. Great biofiltration.. fine particulates... seeding another filter/tank.

Plus its way easier to reach in and grab the sponge to rinse it out as opposed to dragging out a canister which is why I dont run floss in canisters.

You can even go green and use the "squeeze out bucket" to water your plants/garden.

The pros outweigh the cons for me.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Just used one of my sponge filters to set up a QT tank for a new arrival. Gotta love instant cycling :)

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store