spotted gar and arowana

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
dude, the gar may not be aggressive in a usual sense but its predatory. Silver fish are viewed as food a lot of the time. The Silver Aro is a large, aggressive aro with a fast growth rate. It'll out grow your gar for sure. As to pond size, I'll have to agree with the other posts and say 9'x3' isn't all that big. Too put in perspective, I'm building a 10'x 5' x 5' for a RTCxTSN.

"big ball of light, spits out dinosaurs" - Mac, Primeval New World

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
nice pond. but as I said earlier. its not that I don't believe you have the pond. the compatibility of the gar and arowana is debatable.

"big ball of light, spits out dinosaurs" - Mac, Primeval New World

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I put gar and puffer 10'' together no proplem
Wow !!! So what does that have to do with this thread? Maybe research arowana, you'll see puffers and arowana are really not that similar.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The fact that your asking this question shows me you haven't done enough research. Especially as this potential tankmate pairing is asked about all the time. I also feel like pointing out that it would be a florida gar and not a spotted gar.

Anyways here goes. Given the sizes of the fish the arowana will rapidly outgrow the gar. Leading to potential aggression issues from the arowana towards the gar. If this happens it can spook the gar at put it at risk of a broken back or death.

As well gars have a tendency to view silver coloured fish as food. This can lead to the gar attacking the arowana.

There are also potential issues related to feeding. Should the aro be an aggressive feeder this can again lead to a spooked gar. Which again can potentially result in a broken back or dead gar.

Your free to try the combination, they're your fish. But don't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
x2.. and I've tried it.. it didn't work.. and both times I barely saved the fishes life ( The arrowana once, the gar once...) I will never put gar and arrowana together again.. and would never suggest anyone else do so. there are exceptions to the rule.. but the rule is NO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store