wow!!!!!

I guess I'ma changing mah mind!

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
I don't think stable means unhappy.

There are many factors in play with stable / unstable. One of the most important is genes. If I pick a dat in a store, I pick the one wich is displaying good yellow and good black. Whatever tank you put it in, such a dat (in my experience) will allways stay relatively stable. For example when stressed (taking out the tank or something) or in a black tank it will also keep it contrast.

All this keeping the dat in a white enviroment / bright light etc stuff is just making the dat color up so it blends in. Such a dat will still turn black when stressed etc.

Then there's water (probably ph or something plays a role) and enviroment besides the color of it.

Driftwood seems to help in stablizing for some dats, giving the impression that when hiding places are present a dat feels safe to display it's constrasting colours.

Also non shy tankmates (for example clownloach who constantly swim around) help relax a datnioid into a relaxed state and brings him out of hiding.

It does need time to get used to a new enviroment, so while the colour can be stable, the behaviour needs time to really develope in the glass hugger it can be.

My personal experience (and preference) is to have a lot of current in a tank, I feel that this also helps to stabilize a datnioid, but again, if a it is black it will not happen often that such a fish turns bright yellow over night.

I do agree that a stable datnioid is a desirable datnioid. Yellow and black gives a much nicer fish to look at than just black and the frustration it never turns into what it can be in terms of looks. I had a st wich I could not get stable, no matter what I did. I sold him off. Now I have a 4" 3 bar it wich is always stable and has a great colour wich I am much happier about and cost me a lot less and was way less troublesome to get.

Btw not posting this here to start a debate on how to stabilize a dat, just my personal opinion. I completly agree with this:

nomad;4828882; said:
...therefore, there is no universal answer to "stability" and all the threads asking for that are just a waste of time.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
nomad;4828882; said:
there are indos that will be unstable regardless of feeding habits.....IMO stability is a very complex issue depending on alot of factors ( light, substrate, feeding, tankmates, water quality, current) but mostly on the individual fish (some are more prone to "stability" than others)...therefore, there is no universal answer to "stability" and all the threads asking for that are just a waste of time.
I like this....

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
yup.. it really comes down to if you like dats or not.. personally it's my main fish.. all of them.. but I can see why people expecting ST colors on an IT are disappointed..

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
nomad;4828882; said:
there are indos that will be unstable regardless of feeding habits.....IMO stability is a very complex issue depending on alot of factors ( light, substrate, feeding, tankmates, water quality, current) but mostly on the individual fish (some are more prone to "stability" than others)...therefore, there is no universal answer to "stability" and all the threads asking for that are just a waste of time.
Well put

Miguel;4828814; said:
As a matter of fact, and it is the second time I have Dats ( currently 4 big ones ), they are much more beautifull than interesting.

They end up boring me...
That can be arranged. I am working (fast) on it !

Miguel;4828892; said:
wow!!!!!

I guess I'ma changing mah mind!
No, you´re not ! :D

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Agreed. I think certain location ITs are collected produce more unstable dats then others but cant really prove this. Some ITs will probably never be stable. This oddball stays mostly black almost all the time but once in awhile he displays his bars and when he does its never a gold base color. So that makes me think gold is not alway a base color. Its like a light brown color.

datnoids 037.jpg

datnoids 039.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
krichardson;4828856; said:
Could be,shucks I currently have one indo who hides most of the time,darts from one end of the tank to the other end the rest of the time yet keeps a full belly from the sinking pellets.Wish we could ask him if he's happy or not and put an end to this happy=unstable talk.:ROFL:
I left out that above said dat is almost always unstable ... OOPS!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
One think people are over looking

I you buy a tiger from a tank full in a LFS is they probably be from the same mother so have the same genes or you you think the fisherman hooks out 1 baby 2inch tiger at a time or do you think they take a whole brood

It has nothing to do with tank or substrate color

One other thing I have played with is lights some people say that IT go stable with the lights out so I got thinking on that one

It could be poss that ST come from shallow water meaning they are confutable with the light shallow water = more light

It may come from deep water meaning they are less confutable with bright light making them unstable

Like I said no one knows for sure why they are stable sometime and unstable at other time

No matter what reasons for stable unstable we come up with someone will always disagree

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
T1KARMANN;4829284; said:
No matter what reasons for stable unstable we come up with someone will always disagree
This is true.Just like everyone has their own reasons to like the ones that they are into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store