Starting hybrid project over

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Well any idea what you want to try to cross?

Kronicguero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2016
My first hybrid im wanting to cross is a convict and rtm. The rtm for the body shape and color. The convict for its bars and being able to breed very easy. The second im hoping for is a cuban and festae cross(cuban is still on order). The rest are mainly what ifs at the moment. I will eventually try and cross them with my hybrid fry i have growing out right now from my last project i scrapped. These pics are of the parents of the fry.

20160614_180031.jpg

20160614_180022.jpg

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Never seen a true umbee hybrid before but i'm sure it has been done before. Good luck trying to get them to breed instead of killing the rest of your stock.

Kronicguero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2016
I have added a dovii to the mix and im still waiting on a few cichlids. I know how agressive umbee and dovii can get so i do have tanks and dividers ready. Im not expecting to keep these fish till max size. Im just trying to get a few spawns from them then hand them over to a friend of mine.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
I agree, I'm not trying to be a hater here as I breed hybrids myself, but you've said some things that raise red flags. Crossing fish at random without a goal in mind is irresponsible, particularly when you don't plan to keep them yourself. It is your responsibility to dispose of them if you don't plan to keep them. Do not distribute (I understand some will go to a relative but the rest must not end up in your lfs or local lake) If we all do this responsibly then the hybrid haters don't have any ammunition for their arguments.

Kronicguero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2016
Um you badly misunderstood what was said. Also read my earlier statement in this thread. The umbee and dovii will be given away when THEY get too big, not my hybrids. All hybrids will remain with me. I have no urge to give away/sell my hybrids. All hybrids that dont reach my expectations will be culled or feeders(do i really need to write this every post?)

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Um you badly misunderstood what was said. Also read my earlier statement in this thread. The umbee and dovii will be given away when THEY get too big, not my hybrids. All hybrids will remain with me. I have no urge to give away/sell my hybrids. All hybrids that dont reach my expectations will be culled or feeders(do i really need to write this every post?)
Ah okay sorry about that. I was too quick to jump onto the obligatory speech to the weird science hybrid breeders. Wish I could delete my post but since I can't, sorry I misunderstood.

Kronicguero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2016
Ah okay sorry about that. I was too quick to jump onto the obligatory speech to the weird science hybrid breeders. Wish I could delete my post but since I can't, sorry I misunderstood.
No worries. I feel the same way when it comes to fish. I wouldnt want to go to my lfs and pickup a festae and find out its a mutt after the fact. My hybrids i am making are purely for my own enjoyment. Im here to enjoy this hobby not screw it up lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store