Starting To Love Datnoids

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I'm growing out some Indo dats and they have really grown on me. In the past they just seemed so inactive and tending to hide I've passed them up. There is just something about their coloring and the way they stalk their prey. Long live the datnoid, anyone agree? There are probably 1000's of threads on the subject but what are some of your favorite tank mates and foods for these fish?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't agree.

Lateralus86

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
I agree. I don't have any, but have been a long time admirer. They are on my list when I get a bigger tank set up.

Reactions: Wailua Boy

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
LOL!.....just joking,dats are actually my favorite fish to keep and I have several.
I know. Mine are still small and just arrived a few days ago and are mostly black but active not hiding and surprisingly beg for food at top of tank, I'm currently housing five. They fed on freeze dried blood worms within 24hrs of introduction to tank. I was thinking they would be harder to feed.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's good that they are active and begging at the top of the water.Drop a few small bits of sinking pellets in with the bloodworms to get them started on pellets.They should eventually color up and show their patterns.I would not provide much hiding spots for them since they are swimming actively.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I tried a few sinking pellets with the blood worms they follow them to bottom as they drop but no strike but I will keep trying to get them on pellets asap. K krichardson

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've had my little IT for almost a year now. It has grown a whopping 1/2" (at best) during this period. This is my 2nd try at Dats. I witnessed my first one died from sudden death syndrome after owning it for less than 2 weeks: it was swimming fine one moment, then all of a sudden made a few swim bursts then just sank to the bottom.

My little guy(?) is always up front and center, when I get near the tank, but still just ignores pellets, even as the clown loaches goes into a feeding frenzy, but as soon as the live/frozen food hits the water, it charges in like a lightning bolt pass the CL swarm.

Here's an old pic during the QT period. It was in a separate container because I was also QTing a much larger green terror in the same tank.
20150723_192344.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I tried a few sinking pellets with the blood worms they follow them to bottom as they drop but no strike but I will keep trying to get them on pellets asap. K krichardson
Good,as long as they show some interest then the y should eventually eat the pellets.I have had good training results with stuffing the pellet inside a small piece of shrimp.Just small enough of a piece to cover the pellet,once the dat is well onto eating the camoflaged pellets use less and less of the shrimp.
xraycer,pellets are the key to your dat gaining size in a shorter time period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store