Starving a Jardini

AROWANABE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Where the sun never shines
I HAD MY 10" AROWANA GO FOR 1 MONTHS WITHOUT EATING AND ONE DAY JUST CAME BACK AROUND AND NOW EATING LIKE A PIG. THEY SOMETIMES GO THRU THESE PHASES, BUT THEY ARE VERY HARDY. HANG IN THERE, IT'LL BE ALL RIGHT.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
even though he's tiny, the last cricket he ate was how many days ago? so start counting from there as far as updating the fact of : When is the LAST time he's eaten anything. Now after eating his cricket, he was WAS fed, so don't look at it like "My Aro hasn't eaten in over a week" it's "my aro hasn't eaten in (what 2 days?) So, he's doing OK. Just OK. Now, At this point and finding out his size, get him to eat anything he will, you've heard it all. Remember though, 10 mins, a refusal of interest, remove food and wait about 5-6 hours and try again. If you go 8 hrs, it might even work faster.

With all of this food being put in your tank, you need to check parameters daily, hecan't handle ammonia and high nit., if they're off, that could be an indicator. If my Aro doesn't want to eat, I know it's for a reason. With a baby, limit chemicals, do small water changes and keep it mellow. Measure he temp of the tank to start, use you thermometer so the end goal is the tank water stays the same, dropping or raising temp quickly even a couple degrees can really be hard on a baby.

What temp. do you have him set at? I keep mine at 81.7, that leaves a little room both ways, but I can do a water change now and never lose more that 4/10 of the starting temp.

When feeding the baby, I'd remove obstacles, plants, and even turn off bubbles or current for 10 minutes so he can fins and see his food. Light helps too!

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
mine went with no food for about 2 an a half weeks

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
:iagree::screwy:good point! dont kill the poor guy!:popcorn:

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hey man last year i had to starve my 12 inch jardini for 8 days to get him to eat frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp but then he gave in and then he actually loved the blood worms still diddn't care two much for the shrimp but i was pretty cool to watch him grab the half frozen chunk of blood worms and chomp um with half of them going out the sides of his mouth after that his primary staple i fed him was crickets in the after noon like 2 dozen love to watch him eat them of the top the coolest food ever to watch you'r arow eat if you never seen um eat crickets you need to feed them to him and the blood worms frozen at night don't know if it contributed but he grow up with more red on him then i ever seen on any other one any ways it took me 8 day's one things for sertain the little hogs won't starve to death.

jusmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2006
Honolulu HI
i finaly moved it to a smaller tank. it is now eating bloodworms. Oh yeah, I picked up an eight inch jardini from a guy here in hawaii for $60. its a nice fish. ill try to get some pictures up. i guess these aros are just picky eaters because this one hasnt eaten yet but im sure it will come around. thanks for all the help and information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store