sting rays death curl : (

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Glad to hear that he is getting better. Did you pick up a test kit today? You should seriously consider saving up and buying a quality canister filter. A 90 gallon tank is really pushing it for a ray because they produce so much waste. Buying a canister filter would end up saving you money in the long run. Rays are truly amazing pets to own. Good luck with yours.

Irbanjaxed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Ellijay Ga
i dunno what happened unfortunetly did not but a test kit No tips today : ( and my wife said he was swimmin so i came home today and i tried to move him with my net and he just doesnt wanna move but is breathing

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Oh no! I would keep up the water changes, up to 35%, make sure your water is soft, slightly acidic and within acceptable the temperature range.

I don't know how you feel, but I would probably go to an ichthyologist if I were you. It is a bit extreme, and probably fairly expensive, but I love rays and would definitely do it for mine.

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
abortedsoul;2383182; said:
Oh no! I would keep up the water changes, up to 35%, make sure your water is soft, slightly acidic and within acceptable the temperature range.

I don't know how you feel, but I would probably go to an ichthyologist if I were you. It is a bit extreme, and probably fairly expensive, but I love rays and would definitely do it for mine.
Whatever you do don't mess with the ph! If your ph is anywhere between 6.0-8.0 you should be fine as long as you acclimated the ray-which you did. Rays can pretty much adjust to any ph as long as it stays constant.

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
stingray94;2383224; said:
Whatever you do don't mess with the ph! If your ph is anywhere between 6.0-8.0 you should be fine as long as you acclimated the ray-which you did. Rays can pretty much adjust to any ph as long as it stays constant.
I use peat to gradually soften the water, but stingray94 was right- in a situation like that, it is best not to goof with the PH. Even the stingray book I have says that. Sorry, that was definitely a misstep on my part. Thanks for the save 94!

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
abortedsoul;2383250; said:
I use peat to gradually soften the water, but stingray94 was right- in a situation like that, it is best not to goof with the PH. Even the stingray book I have says that. Sorry, that was definitely a misstep on my part. Thanks for the save 94!
No problem lol. Not to get off topic but when you do a waterchange wouldn't the ph after the WC be higher than the ph in the tank? I always thought this was why people advised against using RO water in stingray tanks-it just makes it to difficult to maintain a steady ph.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
You really have got to get a test kit. We are all just guessing here without knowing whats going on with your parameters. Id test the water, and do another small waterchange (25-30 percent). If he pulls through, you need another canister and eventually a bigger tank for the ray.

im so sorry he has taken a turn for the worse-im rooting that the little guy pulls through!

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Any updates?

Also, I hadn't realized it until miles said it but that substrate looks really sharp! Rays have very sensitive disks and can easily cut themselves. It also looks like there is lava rock in the tank by one of the pictures? I would take that out imediately! If the ray pulls through your going to want to test your water religiously at least once a week, setup a good quality canister filter with a lot of bio media(I would reccommend eheim as they make great filters, if your on a budget Rena canisters are good too), replace the substrate with something more appropriate for rays(pool filter sand is good) and eventually your going to need a bigger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store