Stingray Curious...

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Depends on the type. Cheap silica sand isn't a great idea.

Depth will vary with opinion. I go with deep enough to cover the bottom without having it so deep as to create dead spots for junk to collect.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Is there a preferred brand and color of sand?

-Rich

I ve used pool sand and I am not a fan, it seemed to stick to the rays and wound up in the filters alot. thinner is better.

I like the carib sea brand sand which comes in different colors. The ray will change color depending on the substrate... so decide on a ray then color substrate

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Okay... so far, it'll be one gold severum, one red Oscar, and one ray (hystrix, aparicio, or hybrid of the two). Thinking about adding a female festae and a green or blue phantom pleco to round it out. All in 6 ft. 150 gallon, using caribsea sand. Thinking beige or a light color like that. Filtration will be 3 AC110s. If I have you guys blessing, that'd be great. If anyone thinks I'm making a mistake with anything, please don't hesitate to chime in. I'm really stepping outside my cichlid box with this one, and I'm getting pretty excited.

-Rich

steve_b

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
The festae may be a problem as it could nip the ray, and a lot of people don't recommend plecs with rays as they can suck on the slime coat

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I would ixnay the pleco... Could suck slime or it could be ray food. plus the tank bottom will need to be pretty clear as your ray needs the space. I would also consider more filtration.... It may work ( i do not use exclusively hangons on anything) but rays produce considerably more waste then the avg fish and as opposed to normal fish they are constantly excreting ammonia so it does not give the tank the chance to catch up. Basically you need signifcantly more biofilter on a ray tank.

maybe add a conister full of matrix/marinw pure?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I second the motion to add more filtration. Elasmobranchs by nature are nasty when it comes to water quality. Their waste productions is exponential compared to your average fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store