Stingray Curious...

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Ah. So no festae or pleco, add an FX6 (in addition to the 3 AC 110s). Thanks for the advice, folks. As I put this together, I'll keep you all updated. Please feel free to add any more tips along the way... I greatly appreciate the info!

-Rich

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Continuing to research, I've come up with a new question. How big a concern is it in getting stung by a stingray? Is it somewhat common in the hobby? I don't put my hands in my tanks too much even now. Is this a concern when feeding? As long as what I'm feeding sinks to the rays, my hands don't have to be involved, somewhat like catfish getting the food when it sinks... correct?

-Rich

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I would use a large sump on that tank. What you will pay for 3 hob filters and an fx6 you could build a sweet sump set up.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TropicalCreations

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2014
Columbus, OH
Continuing to research, I've come up with a new question. How big a concern is it in getting stung by a stingray? Is it somewhat common in the hobby? I don't put my hands in my tanks too much even now. Is this a concern when feeding? As long as what I'm feeding sinks to the rays, my hands don't have to be involved, somewhat like catfish getting the food when it sinks... correct?

-Rich
Ive been stung almost every time in a ray tank rich! J/k lol. I've been working with rays for three years and never been barbed. Only close calls I've had is when transporting larger rays

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Tank is not drilled. And thanks for the answers! So if I did go the AC/FX5 route, am I setting myself up for failure? Already own the ACs. Getting the FX5/6 won't be too difficult. Or maybe and Eheim... something a bit less of a beast to clean (I don't have a utility sink or basement drain)?

-Rich

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Tank is not drilled. And thanks for the answers! So if I did go the AC/FX5 route, am I setting myself up for failure? Already own the ACs. Getting the FX5/6 won't be too difficult. Or maybe and Eheim... something a bit less of a beast to clean (I don't have a utility sink or basement drain)?

-Rich
It will work with the filters you want to use, just be diligent with upkeep. There is no reason you should ever be stung unless you are moving a ray.

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
I don´t want to oppose what other members are saying that possible have much more experience in rays then me but I would´t go for a hystrix because they´re more fragile and possible can´t be with big cichlids. I would say you should get a male Potamotrygon Motoro. They do get larger than the Hysrix but they´re much hardier and ideal for beginners in rays with big enough tanks.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I don´t want to oppose what other members are saying that possible have much more experience in rays then me but I would´t go for a hystrix because they´re more fragile and possible can´t be with big cichlids. I would say you should get a male Potamotrygon Motoro. They do get larger than the Hysrix but they´re much hardier and ideal for beginners in rays with big enough tanks.
His tank is not big enough to house a moto for life....

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Thanks, Jason!

ReisAntonio,

Thanks for your input, for sure! So far, you are the first person to tell me hystrix are not good beginner rays. In fact, most people I have spoken to or pm'd here and on other forums have actually told me it's a great choice, just hard to find. I'm not discounting your claim, however. I truly don't know. Is anyone else of that opinion? Tank size matters, so it will need to be a smaller type ray... one where the males stay at about a 12" disc, give or take. From what I can tell, the added benefit of the hystrix is they don't have a long tail either.

Regarding the cichlids, if the Oscar is a no-no... and honestly, given how messy I am learning rays can be, I'm starting to reconsider that one... no need for two really messy fish in that tank... I'd be fine with it. I am actually thinking about just maybe using a few severums and perhaps school of some kind of medium sized barb, tetra or silver dollar type fish. In other words, I'm open to building the correct tank mates around the ray, as opposed to forcing it to be with unacceptable tank mates.

-Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store